SBS Transit Bus Service 16 is a trunk service plying between Bedok and Bukit Merah, passing through Marine Parade, Joo Chiat, Old Airport, Orchard Road and Tiong Bahru.
📶 This Bus Service is Wi-Fi enabled, connect to #FreeWiFi@SBST.
||Bedok Bus Interchange ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Marine Parade, Joo Chiat, Old Airport, Orchard, Tiong Bahru|
|Route Length||21.9 km (D1) | 21.5 km (D2)|
|Traveling Time||95 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bukit Merah Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ulu Pandan Bus Depot (UPDEP)
Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN A22
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Bedok
||0530 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Bukit Merah
||0545 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 08 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 13 mins
1700-1900: 09 – 11 mins
After 1900: 10 – 12 mins
|0630-0830: 08 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 11 mins
1700-1900: 10 – 13 mins
After 1900: 10 – 13 mins
Spanning from Bedok to Bukit Merah, Service 16 connects the housing estates of Marine Parade, Old Airport, Bukit Merah and Tiong Bahru, as well as private estates around Joo Chiat and Upper East Coast, with connections to the City areas of Bras Basah, Orchard Road and Havelock. The route is well utilized between housing estates and the City, while also benefiting the Joo Chiat area with bus connections by plying a unique stretch of Joo Chiat Road.
The route compliments Service 14 between the Mountbatten area and Orchard Road. Between Marine Parade and Orchard Road, the route compliments Service 36 by often being less crowded, although taking a longer route. Demand for the service is moderate to high throughout the day owing to unique sectors and City-estate connections.
From September 2010, the route was amended to skip the Stadium area due to the construction of the new Singapore Sports Hub. Therefore, the Stadium area is currently only served by Service 11.
MRT Stations Served:
- EW5 Bedok
- EW13NS25 City Hall
- EW17 Tiong Bahru
- NS22 Orchard
- NS23 Somerset
- NS24NE6CC1 Dhoby Ghaut
- CC2 Bras Basah
- CC3 Esplanade
- CC5 Nicoll Highway
- CC7 Mountbatten
- CC8 Dakota
- DT21 Bencoolen
- Upp East Coast Rd (Crescendo Bldg) → Bedok Int
Weekdays: 0615hrs, 0630hrs
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
- 02 May 1976 – 31 Oct 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 01 Nov 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Bukit Merah Bus Package.
- 1976 (02 May): Introduced between Marine Terrace and Telok Blangah Heights
- 1981 (15 Feb): Amended to Bt Merah Int under Phase 3 of Telok Blangah Bus Plan
- 1981 (05 Jul): Amended to Marine Parade Ter
- 1983: Amended to serve Kallang Park / National Stadium in both directions after 1930hrs
- 1986 (13 Apr): Amended to Stadium Rd instead of Stadium Walk
- 1987 (23 Feb): National Stadium diversion revised to start from 1845hrs daily
- 1992: Amended to Orchard Link instead of Grange Rd
- 1993 (23 May): Amended to serve Kallang Park / National Stadium throughout the day when Service 14 was amended under Transitlink Integration Exercise Phase 13
- 1993 (05 Dec): Extended to Changi Airport PTB1 and PTB2 following merger with Service 149 and amended to serve Zion Rd / Kim Seng Rd / Outram Rd instead of Lower Delta Rd and River Valley Rd under Transitlink Integration Exercise Phase 14
- 1994 (31 Jan): Introduction of peak hour Express Service 16E, which skips Nicoll Highway, Old Airport Rd and Marine Parade Rd
- 1998 (06 Sep): Shortened back to Marine Parade Terminal when Express service 16E was amended and converted to full-day trunk service
- 2001 (16 Sep): Amended to loop at Siglap Link with the closure of Marine Parade Ter
- 2002 (08 Feb): Amended to ply Stadium Walk/Cres due to Circle Line construction works.
- 2002 (07 Jul): Skips bus stop 09037 along Orchard Rd
- 2003: Serves new bus stop 93201 along Marine Parade Rd
- 2004 (20 Apr): Diverted via Kallang Road due to Nicoll Highway Collapse
- 2004 (06 Dec): Amended to reinstated Nicoll Highway
- 2005 (02 Jul): Amended to Grange Rd with the partial closure of Somerset Rd
- 2005 (30 Oct): Serves new bus stop 06081 along Zion Rd
- 2006 (18 Feb): Amended to serve Stadium Cres when Stadium Blvd is fully closed for Circle Line construction works
- 2006 (19 Mar): Amended to Cassia Link, Guillemard Rd, Guillemard Camp Rd with the partial closure of Old Airport Rd and Dunman Rd to facilitate the construction of Dakota MRT station on the Circle MRT Line
- 2007 (19 Aug): Extended to Bedok Interchange via Upper East Coast Rd, Bedok South Ave 1, Bedok South Rd & Bedok North Ave 1
- 2008 (29 Dec): Amended to reinstated Old Airport Rd and Dunman Rd
- 2010 (29 Sep): Amended to Mountbatten Rd, skipping Stadium Blvd, Stadium Cres, Stadium Rd & Stadium Walk due to Singapore Sports Hub construction works.
- 2011 (19 Nov): Amended to Bedok Temp Int
- 2011 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus (WAB) service
- 2014 (30 Nov): Amended to Bedok Integrated Transport Hub
- 2017 (09 Apr): Amended to East Coast Rd / Still Rd South temporarily due to Thomson-East Coast Line construction works
- 2017 (12 Nov): Amended back to Joo Chiat Road
- 2018 (18 Nov): Start of operations under Bukit Merah Bus Package (Tendered Contract)
- Refer to this article
- 2017: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2017.