SBS Transit Bus Service 198 is a trunk route running between Boon Lay and Bukit Merah, passing through Jurong West/East Ave 1, Jurong Town Hall, AYE, Commonwealth and Queensway.
||Boon Lay Bus Interchange ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Jurong West/East Ave 1, Jurong Town Hall, AYE, Commonwealth, Queensway|
|Route Length||19.8 km (D1) | 20.8 km (D2)|
|Traveling Time||80 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bukit Merah Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Soon Lee Bus Depot (SLBP)
Ulu Pandan Bus Depot (UPDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Boon Lay
||0530 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Bukit Merah
||0530 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 04 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 12 mins
1700-1900: 05 – 12 mins
After 1900: 08 – 16 mins
|0630-0830: 05 – 08 mins
0831-1659: 04 – 12 mins
1700-1900: 06 – 10 mins
After 1900: 11 – 15 mins
Service 198 is a residential inter-town route plying between Boon Lay, Jurong East, Commonwealth and Bukit Merah. It is a popular connection between Boon Lay Town Centre and Boon Lay Avenue / Jurong West Avenue 1, a route it partially shares with Service 157.
Serving many housing estates, demand for this route is moderate to high throughout the day.
MRT Stations Served
- Jurong Town Hall Road (German Ctr) → Bukit Merah Int
Saturdays: 0540hrs, 0550hrs
- Jurong East Avenue 1 (Parc Oasis) → Boon Lay Int
Short Trip Service
- Service 198A: Boon Lay Int → Jurong East Ave 1 (Opp Parc Oasis)
Weekdays: 1718hrs – 2023hrs | 10 – 24 min frequency
- 1971 – 1973: Amalgamated Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2018 under the Bukit Merah Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced between New Market Rd Ter and Jln Boon Lay Ter under 1971 Bus Reorganisation
- 1971 (06 Jun): Amended to South Canal Rd Ter
- 1972 (11 Jun): Amended to ply the extended Upp Cross St with the partial conversion of Havelock Rd to one-way road, skipping New Bridge Rd
- 1973 (01 Nov): Operated by Singapore Bus Service (SBS)
- 1974 (03 Feb): Extended to Jln Kolam Ayer Ter under 1974 Bus Rationalisation
- 1974 (01 Oct): Calls at a new bus stop outside Nan Hwa Girls’ High Sch along Bencoolen St &
Calls at a merged bus stop outside Sri Srinivasa Perumal Tp along Serangoon Rd
- 1976 (13 Dec): Extended to Sims Place Terminal
- 1978 (01 Jun): Extended to Jurong Interchange
- 1982: Amended to ply Aljunied Rd and MacPherson Rd, skipping Jln Kolam Ayer
- 1988 (29 May): Skips the bus stop outside NUH along AYE
- 1990 (01 Jul): Amended to Boon Lay Interchange with the closure of Jurong Interchange.
- 1991 (07 Apr): Shortened to Jurong East Int under TransitLink Network Integration Exercise Phase 3
- 1992 (28 Jun): Extended to Boon Lay and shortened to Bukit Merah, covering deleted sectors of Services 64 and 197.
- 2001 (01 Nov): Operated by SBS Transit
- 2006 (18 Jun): Amended to Boon Lay Temp Int
- 2006 (03 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2009 (27 Dec): Amended to Boon Lay Integrated Transport Hub
- Refer to this article
- 1992: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1992.
External Links & References: