|Years in operation||2018—Present|
|Emission Standard||Zero tailpipe emissions|
The BYD C6 is a fully electric midibus manufactured by Chinese company BYD, which specialises in electric vehicles and new energy solutions.
The bus design incorporates large-capacity Lithium-Iron-Phosphate batteries which allow the bus to travel more than 200km on a single charge, under urban road conditions. Private operators ShareTransport and Grab first trialled the bus in 2018. This article focuses on BYD C6 buses operated by private bus operators.
Several BYD C6 public buses entered service with SMRT Buses in October/November 2019 and deployed on Service 825, the only public bus service in Singapore operating using shorter-length buses. As of October 2021, these buses are operated by Tower Transit.
These buses were bodied by Gemilang Coachworks of Malaysia, using the BYD D6R chassis.
|Basic Technical Specifications|
|Electric motors||BYD-3425TZ-XS-A Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor
Continuous power of 150 kW
Maximum power/torque of 180 kW/1500 Nm
Regenerative braking capabilities + Front and rear disc brakes
|Battery||BYD Iron-Phosphate battery
Lithium iron phosphate batteries, capacity of 135kWh. Full charge takes 4 hours
‘EcoRange’ aluminium bus body
|Passenger Capacity||Private Bus – 24 Seated|
BYD C6 Buses in Singapore
Current operators of the BYD C6 Bus includes:
- SATA CommHealth – (vehicle to be registered as Excursion Bus)
Donated by Maybank & Crystal SL. Global Pte Ltd
- Leisure Frontier – PC8764X (Vehicle registered under HDT Singapore Holding Pte Ltd)
- HDT Singapore Holding Pte Ltd – PC7136R (Leased from BYD Singapore Pte Ltd)
Le Quest Condo Shuttle (Formerly Shangri-La Hotel Shuttle)
- HDT Singapore Holding Pte Ltd – PC7344G
Marina Country Club Shuttle
- Rev Ecodrive Pte Ltd – PC9351Y
Boathouse Residences Shuttle
- Westpoint Transit Pte Ltd – PC9916T (Leased from Rev Ecodrive Pte Ltd)
- Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd – PC7991M, PC8561P, PC8656A, PC8669M
Bus Service 825
- HDT Singapore Holding Pte Ltd – HDT Singapore Holding Pte Ltd)
Shangri-La Hotel Shuttle
- Grab – PC7344G – Leased from HDT Singapore Holding Pte Ltd
GrabShuttle Plus (Cheng San – Seletar) trial
- ShareTransport – PC7136R – Leased from BYD Singapore Pte Ltd
One year trial from July 2018; Trial terminated before completion of the trial period.
- SMRT Buses Ltd – PC7991M, PC8561P, PC8656A, PC8669M
Bus Service 825; Transferred to Tower Transit as part of the Sembawang-Yishun Bus Package.
Gallery – Private Bus (Exterior)
Private Bus (Interior)
The bus seats four-abreast with a central aisle running the length of the bus. All seats also have hand grips to provide commuters with additional support while moving within the bus. Emergency hammers are mounted on pillars in-between windows.
At the front of the bus, the driver’s cab is separated from the passenger compartment by a single handlebar. Access to the cab is offered primarily via a driver’s door on the right side of the vehicle.