SMRT Bus Service 171 is a trunk route linking Yishun and Marina Centre, passing through Mandai Road, BKE, Bukit Panjang, Upper Bukit Timah, Bukit Timah, Scotts Road, Orchard, Dhoby Ghaut and Bras Basah. It shares the Yishun – Marina Centre connection with Service 857, but plies a much longer route to serve more areas.
Bus Service 171 will skip a pair of bus stops along Jelebu Rd from 04 Sep 2017
|Bus Service 171: Yishun ↔ Marina Centre
| Direction 2
From Marina Centre
- No boarding and alighting at Marina Centre Terminal.
||Yishun Temporary Interchange ↔ Marina Centre Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Mandai Rd, BKE, Bukit Panjang, Upp Bukit Timah, Bukit Timah, Orchard, Bras Basah|
|Route Length||34.2 km (D1) | 34.6 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||110 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from Yishun
||0530 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Marina Centre
||0545 – 2330 (Daily)|
|0630 – 0830: 10 – 12 mins
0831 – 1659: 09 – 13 mins
1700 – 1900: 11 – 14 mins
After 1900: 11 – 14 mins
|0630 – 0830: 11 mins
0831 – 1659: 11 – 12 mins
1700 – 1900: 11 mins
After 1900: 11 – 15 mins
Service 171 is an inter-town route serving between the areas of Yishun, Bukit Panjang, Upper Bukit Timah, Bukit Timah, Newton, Orchard Road, Bras Basah and Marina Centre. It is a key inter-town connection between the towns of Yishun and Bukit Panjang, via BKE and Mandai Road, with no other public bus route offering a faster route. It was also well-patronized between the Orchard area and Bukit Timah with few duplicating routes before the Downtown Line Stage 2 opened.
In addition, the service provides bus connections to many institutions along the Dunearn Road / Bukit Timah Road academic belt. A large portion of its route runs parallel to Service 67 and 170 (between Newton and Bukit Panjang), as well as the Downtown Line Stage 2. Demand is moderate throughout the day but high during peak hours (especially between Bukit Timah and the City.) and during school dismissal hours. High capacity bendy buses are deployed occasionally, especially during special occasions such as route diversions and festive seasons.
This service plies a short express sector on the Bukit Timah Expressway (BKE), between Mandai Road and Bukit Panjang Road. Despite sharing the Yishun – Marina Centre connection with Service 857, it plies a much longer route, serving Bukit Panjang and (almost) the full stretch of Upper Bukit Timah & Bukit Timah Road.
No boarding and alighting is allowed at Marina Centre Terminal. The last stop for Marina Centre bound buses is at Raffles Boulevard (02089 Pan Pacific Hotel), and the first stop for Yishun bound buses is at Raffles Avenue (02101 Bef Temasek Ave).
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1995 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. Double-decker buses are not yet deployed as the service is not certified double-decker accessible yet.
Premature Double Decker Deployments
On 24 August 2015, SMB5059J (Alexander Dennis Enviro500) performed Service 171 in the evening as part of a crossover slot (969S151). On its maiden trip from Yishun to Marina Centre, the bus was withdrawn from revenue service at Bukit Panjang by the Operations Control Centre (OCC), which was likely due to the route not being officially certified as ready for double-decker deployment.
Another incident happened on 08 December 2016, where a MAN A95 Bus (SG5744S) performed Service 171 for several trips before being pulled out of service.
DTL2 Bukit Panjang Bus Service Enhancements
As part of DTL2 Bukit Panjang Bus Service Enhancements, Service 171 towards Marina Centre will call at a new bus stop, Bt Panjang Rd – Blk 184 instead of Bukit Panjang Rd – Blk 183 from 27 December 2015. Yishun bound Service 171 will still call at Bt Panjang Rd – Blk 604.
Opening of Bukit Panjang ITH Bus Service Amendments
As part of the Bus Service Amendments for Bukit Panjang ITH Opening, Bus Service 171 will skip the pair of bus stops along Jelebu Rd, serving Opp and Outside Bukit Panjang Plaza to “better manage traffic flow” outside Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub from 04 Sep 2017.
The morning special departures from Jelebu Rd both towards Yishun and Marina Centre will also be adjusted to start from the next stop.
- Jelebu Road (Bt Panjang Plaza) → Yishun Int
Weekdays: 0613hrs & other trips before 0640hrs
- Jelebu Road (Opp Bt Panjang Plaza) → Yishun Int
Weekdays: 0530hrs & other trips before 0606hrs
MRT/LRT Stations Served:
- NS13 Yishun
- BP8 Pending
- BP7 Petir
- DT1BP6 Bukit Panjang
- DT2 Cashew
- DT3 Hillview
- DT5 Beauty World
- DT6 King Albert Park
- DT7 Sixth Avenue
- DT8 Tan Kah Kee
- CC19DT9 Botanic Gardens
- DT10 Stevens
- NS21DT11 Newton
- NS22 Orchard
- NS23 Somerset
- NS24NE6CC1 Dhoby Ghaut
- CC2 Bras Basah
- CC3 Esplanade
- EW13NS25 City Hall
- CC4DT15 Promenade
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 1995: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1995 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2020 under the Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as Service 171 plying Mandai Rd (Near Sembawang Rd) – Queens St Ter
- ???: Amended to Sembawang Rd (near Nee Soon Camp), ??? Amended to serve Mandai Lake Rd, ??? Amended to ply Orchard Rd
- 1987 (18 Jan): Amended to Yishun Ctrl
- 1987 (23 Aug): Amended to Yishun Int
- ???: Amended to Marina Centre Ter
- 1993 (03 Jan): Amended into Bt Panjang town
- 1994 (26 Apr): Amended to skip Mandai Lake Rd in both directions with the introduction of service 138.
- 1995 (05 Nov): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 1999 (26 Dec): Amended to ply BKE instead of Woodlands Rd and Mandai Rd with the amendment of service 927.
- 2006 (29 Oct): Serves Orchard Stn bus stop along Orchard Turn instead of Orchard Blvd
- 2009 (01 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (14 Mar): Amended to Yishun Temp Int
- 2015 (Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for trial till Aug 2016
- 2015 (27 Dec): Calls at Blk 184 instead of Blk 183 along Bt Panjang Rd towards Marina Centre as part of DTL2 Bukit Panjang Bus Service Enhancements
- 2017 (04 Sep): Amended to skip a pair of bus stops along Jelebu Rd
- Refer to this article
- 1999: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1999.
External Links & References: