Go-Ahead Express Bus Service 518 is an Express service running from Pasir Ris Interchange and looping at Bayfront Avenue, passing through Tampines, Bedok North, Moulmein, Orchard, Suntec City and Bayfront. A uni-directional morning peak route variant, Express 518A, is also operated.
Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd (Go-Ahead Singapore) took over operations of this bus service from SBS Transit from 18 September 2016 under the Loyang Bus Package. The route has also been amended to ply ECP / KPE / PIE instead of ECP / Bedok South Ave 1 / Bedok South Rd / Bedok North Ave 1.
|Route||Pasir Ris Bus Interchange ↺ Bayfront Avenue|
|Passes Through||Tampines, Moulmein, Orchard, Suntec City, Marina Bay|
|Route Length||63.2 km|
|Travelling Time||155 mins|
|GCM Route Package
||Loyang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Go-Ahead Singapore|
|Current Depot||Loyang Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck bus:
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from Pasir Ris
||0600hrs – 2200hrs (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0700hrs – 2200hrs (Sundays/PHs)
|0630-0830: 11 – 20 mins
0831-1659: 15 – 20 mins
1700-1930: 15 – 20 mins
After 1930: 16 – 20 mins
Express Service 518 connects the residential estates of Pasir Ris and Tampines to the City areas of Moulmein, Orchard Road, Marina Centre and Bayfront. It incorporates a express sector from Bedok North Road to Moulmein Road via PIE and CTE, and another express sector via ECP (ECP, KPE & PIE from 18 Sep 2016) from Bayfront back to Bedok. The route is popular among residents in Pasir Ris and Tampines as a fast bus connection between home and City, and double-deck buses were introduced to the fleet in 2014.
In 1997, the route numbered Express 503 was introduced by SBS as a unidirectional peak-hour Express service between Tampines Int and Temasek Ave/Anson Rd, operating City-bound trips in the morning and return trips in the evening. It was later renumbered Express 505 in 1999, converted to a full day service and extended at both ends to start from Pasir Ris Int and loop at Telok Blangah Rd. Finally, it was renumbered to Express 518 in 2000 and shortened to loop at Marina Centre. The route has not seen any major amendments since, except for the 2012 amendment which extended it to loop at Bayfront.
A peak hour variant, Express 518A, operates during the Weekdays AM Peak with two departures from Pasir Ris Int terminating at Bayfront. These trips skip the Tampines and Bedok North sectors of the route, allowing for faster commute from Pasir Ris to the City.
Buses may ply alternative routes along the Express sector subject to traffic conditions.
Amendment to KPE
Service 518 was planned to be amended to ply the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) and Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) between Bayfront and Bedok North on the first day of Go-Ahead operations (18 Sep 2016), reportedly specified within the contract details, and was reflected as such in official route information (TransitLink website). However, Go-Ahead service guide lists the old express routing via Bedok North, and buses have been following the old routing in the early days of Go-Ahead operations.
Go-Ahead formally began using the amended route via KPE on Friday, 23 September 2016.
- Tampines Avenue 7 (Blk 370) → Pasir Ris Int, via Bayfront Avenue
Weekdays AM Peak
- Moulmein Road (Opp Tan Tock Seng Hosp) → Pasir Ris Int, via Bayfront Avenue
Daily, after the last Full Trip bus of Service 518 (~2300hrs – 2400hrs)
Peak Hour Variants:
- Express Bus Service 518A: Pasir Ris Interchange → Bayfront Avenue
Weekdays, 0700hrs and 0730hrs. Express from Loyang Ave to Moulmein Rd, skipping Tampines / Bedok North
|Loop Service (via Bayfront Ave)|
- Express 518 will ply via ECP, KPE & PIE along its return leg from the city from 23 September 2016.
MRT Stations served by this route:
- Pasir Ris
- Tampines West (U/C)
- Bedok North (U/C)
- Dhoby Ghaut
- Bras Basah
- Bencoolen (U/C)
- 1997 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – 17 Sep 2016: SBS Transit Ltd
- 18 Sep 2016: Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021 under the Loyang Bus Package.
- 1997 (05 May): Introduced as Express 503, unidirectional peak-hour service:
Tampines Int – Temasek Ave (AM Peak); Anson Rd – Tampines Int (PM Peak)
- 1999 (Sep): Renumbered Express 505, Pasir Ris Int – Jln Bukit Merah/Telok Blangah Rd (Loop)
- 2000 (Sep): Renumbered Express 518, operating as Pasir Ris Int ↺ Marina Ctr via Orchard Rd
- 2005 (26 Dec): Extended to ply Pasir Ris Drive 12. During peak hours, Service 518 will cease operaing and be replaced with two new route variants 518A and 518B, each serving different parts of Service 518’s estern catchment as such:
– 518A: Pasir Ris Int to Loyang Ave → Marina Centre (Loop)
– 518B: Tampines Ave 7 to Tampines Ave 1 → Marina Centre (Loop).
- 2010 (26 Apr): Extended to serve the Bayfront areas. Service 518A amended to AM Peak unidirectional service terminating at Bayfront Ave, Service 518B withdrawn on the same day. Service 518 to operate during peak hours to cover Service 518B.
- 2012 (29 Apr): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (25 Aug) Double-decker Volvo B9TL Wright buses added.
- 2016 (18 Sep): Operations transferred to Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd from SBS Transit Ltd. Route amended to ply via KPE & PIE on its return journey.
- Refer to this article
- 2010: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2010.
External Links & References: