SMRT Bus Service 859 is a trunk route linking Sembawang Bus Interchange and Yishun Temporary Interchange, passing through Admiralty Link, Sembawang Crescent, Sembawang Road and Yishun Avenue 5.
|Bus Service 859: Sembawang ↺ Yishun|
|From Sembawang||Looping at Yishun|
||Sembawang Bus Interchange ↺ Yishun Temporary Bus Interchange (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Admiralty Link, Sembawang Cres, Sembawang Rd, Yishun Ave 5|
|Route Length||16.9 km|
|Travelling Time||70 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||18-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O405G
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN A22
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from Sembawang
||0545hrs – 0000hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0600hrs – 0000hrs (Sundays / Public Holidays)
After 2314 hours (Daily), buses leaving Sembawang Int will terminate at Yishun Temp Int.
|Departure Times from Yishun
||0600hrs – 2345hrs (Daily)|
|0630-0830: 09 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 11 mins
1700-1900: 10 – 11 mins
After 1900: 10 – 13 mins
Service 859 is a residential trunk route linking many parts of Sembawang Estate with Yishun and Sembawang MRT stations, as well as various neighbourhood amenities. It is one of few bus routes to serve residents within the small Sembawang estate. By making one round around the Sembawang estate before terminating at Sembawang Int, passengers can board the bus at to appropriate bus stops along Sembawang Drive or Sembawang Vista if they intend to head towards Yishun directly.
As a residential route, demand is moderate to high throughout the day, but high capacity double-deck / articulated buses are not deployed as rigid buses cope well with loading levels. From 17 Aug 2014, two new supplementary route variants, Services 859A and 859B, were introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP). As a result, early morning downroutes from Sembawang Vista (Blk 309) and Shortworking Trip 859A ceased to operate.
MRT Stations Served
- Yishun Temp Int → Sembwang Int
- Service 859A: Sembawang Bus Interchange ↺ Admiralty Link (Loop)
Counter-clockwise loop via Canberra Rd, Sembawang Dr, Sembawang Cres
- Service 859B: Sembawang Bus Interchange ↺ Sembawang Cres (Loop)
Clockwise loop via Sembawang Cres, Sembawang Dr, Canberra Rd
- 1999 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2020 under the Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package.
- 1999 (04 Apr): Introduced by TIBS as Yishun Int – Sembawang Dr (Loop)
- 2000 (09 Jan): Amended to serve Sembawang Dr, Admiralty St
- 2005 (20 Nov): Extended to Sembawang Interchange via Sembawang Vista, Canberra Road, Admiralty Lane, Admiralty Link, Sembawang Drive, Admiralty Drive, Sembawang Crescent.
- 2006 (03 Dec): Amended to ply along Sembawang Way.
- 2007 (01 Oct): Shortworking trips 859A introduced from Sembawang Int to Sembawang Vista (Opp Blk 315) between 0015 to 0050 daily.
- 2012 (15 Nov): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (17 Aug): Extension of operating hours for service 859A (to full day) and introduction of new supplementary service 859B which operates a counter-clockwise route opposite to 859A.
- 2015 (14 Mar): Amended to Yishun Temp Int and converted to Loop Service from Sembawang
- Refer to this article
- 2006: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2006.