Reduced train frequencies on the North South Line (NSL) will take effect on selected days in January 2018 to facilitate additional engineering hours within the NSL tunnels. This will result in 10 to 15-minute train intervals along the NSL between Orchard and Marina South Pier, during the early morning and late night hours on Fridays and weekends.
In addition, shorter operating hours along the East West Line (EWL) will take effect on selected days in January 2018 to facilitate additional engineering hours for re-signalling and maintenance work. This will involve early closures, late openings, and full-day suspension of train services along the EWL. For more information, check out the dedicated article (Shortened Operating Hours on East West Line).
These closures allow more time for rail maintenance and renewal works to be carried out, as well as checks conducted on the new signalling system. In the wake of the Joo Koon train collision incident in November 2017, old and new signalling system-equipped sections of the EWL are physically separated until resignalling works are complete.
Click here for the East West Line Shorter Operating Hours in Jan 2018 article.
Affected MRT Stations
On the NSL, trains will operate during the affected hours as follows:
- Normal Train Service between NS1EW24 Jurong East & NS22 Orchard
- Shuttle Train Service between NS22 Orchard & NS25EW13 City Hall
- No NSL Train Service between NS25EW13 City Hall & NS26EW14 Raffles Place
- Shuttle Train Service between NS26EW14 Raffles Place & NS28 Marina South Pier
Affected Hours & Dates
Trains Services will operate as above during the affected hours and dates as follows:
|Affected Train Operating Hours||Affected Dates|
|Before 7am on Saturdays & Sundays||6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 & 28 January|
|After 11pm on Fridays & Saturdays||5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26 & 27 January|
Train Services during Affected Hours
Jurong East – Orchard
Train services between Jurong East and Orchard remain unaffected. Trains from Jurong East will terminate at Orchard Station Platform B and reverse back towards Jurong East.
Orchard – City Hall
The bi-directional Shuttle Train service will operate between Orchard—City Hall on the Northbound Track. The shuttle train serves Orchard, Somerset, Dhoby Ghaut & City Hall stations, calling at Platform A of all stations.
City Hall – Raffles Place
There is no NSL train service between City Hall and Raffles Place.
- Southbound commuters at City Hall should take the East West Line towards Tuas Link at Platform B, and then transfer to the Shuttle Train Service at Raffles Place Platform B.
- Northbound commuters at Raffles Place should take the East West Line towards Pasir Ris at Platform A, and then transfer to the Shuttle Train Service at City Hall Platform A.
Raffles Place – Marina South Pier
The bi-directional Shuttle Train service will operate between Raffles Place—Marina South Pier on the Northbound Track. The shuttle train serves Raffles Place, Marina Bay & Marina South Pier stations, calling at Platform A of all stations.
Enhanced Bus Services
Bus Operating Hours for the following Bus Services will be enhanced as an alternative to the North South Line during the affected hours on affected days:
- Selected Night Owl / NightRider Bus Services (No enhancement made/announced since 5 Jan 2017)
- Selected Regular Bus Services
As of 6 Jan 2017, only Tower Transit announced additional trips on the following bus services:
- Every Saturday & Sunday morning in January 2018
Before 7:00am – Service 143
- Every Friday & Saturday evening in January 2018
After 11:00pm – Services 77, 106 & 143
- Shortened East West Line Operating Hours in Jan 2018
- Shorter Operating Hours on East West & North South Lines in Dec 2017