SBS Transit Bus Service 131 is a trunk service plying between St. Michael’s Ter and Bukit Merah Int, passing through Novena, Pek Kio, Rochor, Bras Basah, Fullerton Road, HarbourFront, Telok Blangah Way and Bukit Purmei. Its route variant, Service 131M, plies between Bukit Merah and Bukit Purmei.
- Bus Service 131 towards both Bukit Merah and Saint Michael’s duplicates along Jalan Bahagia & Bukit Purmei Avenue. Check the bus destination before boarding.
– Buses displaying the Red 131 Plate head towards Bukit Merah
– Buses displaying the White 131 Plate head towards Saint Michael’s.
||Saint Michael’s Bus Terminal ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Novena, Pek Kio, Rochor, Bras Basah, Fullerton Road, HarbourFront, Telok Blangah Way, Bukit Purmei|
|Route Length||20.6 km (D1) | 20.2 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||85 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bukit Merah Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ulu Pandan Bus Depot (UPDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Scania K230UB
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from St. Michael’s
||0545 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Bukit Merah
||0545 – 0000 (Daily)|
|0630-0830: 07 – 14 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 14 mins
1700-1900: 08 – 11 mins
After 1900: 11 – 15 mins
|0630-0830: 09 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 14 mins
1700-1900: 09 – 11 mins
After 1900: 11 – 14 mins
Service 131 connects residents of St. Michael’s, Pek Kio, Bukit Merah and Bukit Purmei to the City areas of Bras Basah, Shenton Way and HarbourFront, catering to both the weekday office crowds and the weekend demand to leisure venues around HarbourFront and Bras Basah. It also links St. Michael’s and Pek Kio estates to the nearby Novena MRT and United Square mall. Demand for this service is moderate to heavy owing to its inter-town and intra-city routing.
This service calls at several bus stops in St. Michael’s Estate and along Bukit Purmei Road twice in different directions, i.e. towards Bukit Merah and towards St. Michael’s Ter. Red and white service plates are used to distinguish the direction of travel in addition to Electronic Display Signages (EDS) on buses. Red plate indicates buses heading for Bukit Merah; white plate indicates buses heading for St. Michael’s Ter.
MRT Stations Served
- NS20 Novena
- NE8 Farrer Park
- NE7DT12 Little India
- DT13 Rochor
- DT21 Bencoolen
- CC2 Bras Basah
- EW13NS25 City Hall
- CC3 Esplanade
- EW14NS26 Raffles Place
- DT18 Telok Ayer
- EW15 Tanjong Pagar
- NE1CC29 Harbourfront
- Thomson Road (Opp United Sq) → Bukit Merah Int
Weekdays: 0520hrs, 0531hrs, 0542hrs, 0553hrs
Saturdays: 0520hrs, 0534hrs, 0548hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0520hrs, 0529hrs
- Stamford Road (Capitol Bldg) → St. Michael’s Ter
Weekdays: 0605hrs, 0614hrs
- Service 131M: Bukit Merah Bus Interchange ↺ Bukit Purmei Avenue (Loop)
Weekdays: 0640hrs – 0910hrs & 1710hrs – 1940hrs
Short Trip Service
- Service 131A: St. Michael’s Terminal → Shenton Way (opp AXA Twr)
Weekdays: 0646hrs, 0707hrs, 0728hrs
Fleet: Service 131′s fleet comprises of a majority of Scania K230UBs, as well as Mercedes-Benz Citaros. Double-deck buses are not deployed possibly due to road limitations at Bukit Purmei or within Pek Kio estate.
- 1971 – 1973: Associated Bus Services Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2018 under the Bukit Merah Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced between Balestier Rd (near Thomson Rd) and Tanjong Pagar Rd/Anson Rd, operated by Associated Bus Services
- 1974: Amended to Cecil St
- 1983: Amended to loop at Norfolk Rd/Kent Rd (via Rangoon Rd, Race Course Rd and Rowell Rd)
- 1985: Amended to Prince Edward Rd Ter
- 1987: Amended to Shenton Way Ter
- 1992: Extended to St. Michael’s Ter
- 1993 (04 Apr): Merged with service 125 and extended to Bukit Merah
- 2005 (19 Jun): Amended to ply Bukit Purmei Ave in both directions
- 2007 (28 Apr): Calls at bus stop outside Victoria Concert Hall along Empress Place.
- 2011 (16 Oct): Amended to serve Bencoolen St & Bras Basah Rd with the closure of a section along Bencoolen St for the construction of the Downtown Line
- 2011 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2014 (25 Aug): Route variant Service 131M introduced.
- 2016 (01 May): Amended to Esplanade Dr instead of St. Andrews Rd (Main Article)
- 2016 (11 Dec): Resume plying Bencoolen Street with the completion of Downtown Line works (Main Article)
- Refer to this article
- 2005: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2005.