City Direct Service 652 is an AM/PM Peak City Direct service between Ang Mo Kio and the CBD, passing through CTE, Orchard Road and Fullerton Road. It is the second City Direct route introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP).
City Direct 652 is operated by SMRT Buses from Monday, 6 January 2020.
||[AM]: Upper Thomson Road (Opp Sembawang Hills FC) → Shenton Way (Opp MAS Bldg)
[PM]: Anson Road (Mapletree Anson) → Upper Thomson Road (Bef Sembawang Hills FC)
|Passes Through||Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, Dhoby Ghaut|
|Route Length||18.9km (D1) | 18.7km (D2)|
|Traveling Time||60 mins|
|BCM Route Package||City Direct Bus Services|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot
|Current Fleet||12-meter Double Decker Buses
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– MAN A95
|Departure Times from Upper Thomson
||0725hrs – 0750hrs (Weekdays except Public Holidays), 4 Trips|
|Departure Times from Anson Rd
||1810hrs – 1825hrs (Weekdays except Public Holidays), 2 Trips|
|8 – 9 mins||15 mins|
City Direct Service 652 provides residents of Thomson and Ang Mo Kio with greater connectivity to the CBD. By running parallel to existing rail lines, the service provides a travel alternative for commuters who relied on the rail network and feeder buses to and from work. The route incorporates an express sector between Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10 and Orchard Road via Central Expressway (CTE). Some bus stops along Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 (near Ang Mo Kio MRT) are skipped to avoid duplication of the MRT line.
This is the second City Direct service to be introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP), and one of ten proposed City Direct bus routes to be progressively introduced until the 2nd Quarter of 2014. This provides more options for commuters using stretches of the existing rail lines that experience persistently high ridership, while the ongoing rail enhancement measures are being implemented.
- AM Peak from Upper Thomson Rd (Opp Sembawang Hills FC): 0725hrs, 0733hrs, 0741hrs, 0750hrs
- PM Peak from Anson Road (Mapletree Anson): 1810hrs, 1825hrs
MRT Stations Served
- NS25EW13 City Hall
- NS26EW14 Raffles Place
- EW15 Tanjong Pagar
- NS24NE6CC1 Dhoby Ghaut
- CC2 Bras Basah
- CC3 Esplanade
- DT21 Bencoolen
Fare: Charges distance-based express fares.
- 06 Jan 2014 – 03 Jan 2020: Ren Quan Transport Pte Ltd
- 06 Jan 2020 onward: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 2014 (06 Jan): Introduced as a bidirectional AM/PM-Peak hour service from Upper Thomson to the CBD under the BSEP. Operates two trips on weekday mornings at 7:35am and 7:45am, and weekday evenings at 6:10pm and 6:25pm. Charges Distance-based flat fares.
- 2014 (17 Mar): Third morning trip added, departure times from Upp Thomson revised to 7:30am, 7:40am and 7:50am.
- 2014 (06 Apr): Revised fares as part of the Public Transport Fare Adjustment 2014
- 2014 (14 Jul): Fourth morning trip added, departure times from Upp Thomson revised to 7:30am, 7:36am, 7:43am and 7:50am
- 2015 (19 Jan): Fifth morning trip added, departure times from Upp Thomson revised to 7.25am, 7.31am, 7.37am, 7.43am and 7.50am.
- 2015 (23 Mar): Calls at new bus stop 03241 Anson Rd – Mapletree Anson instead of 03222 Anson Rd – Hub Synergy Point
- 2016 (18 Jan): City Direct 652 operating contract for Ren Quan Transport Pte Ltd extended by 1 year
- 2018 (25 Jun): Sixth morning trip added, departure times from Upp Thomson revised to 7.25am, 7.30am, 7.35am, 7.40am, 7.45am and 7.50am.
- 2020 (06 Jan): Transferred operations to SMRT Buses. Morning trips reduced to 4 trips at 7.25am, 7.33am, 7.41am & 7.50am with the deployment of Double Decker Buses