City Direct Service 656 is an AM/PM Peak City Direct service between Sembawang and the CBD, passing through Sembawang Drive, Bras Basah and Shenton Way. It is the sixth City Direct route introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP).
||[AM]: Canberra Road (Blk 424A CP) → Shenton Way (Opp MAS Bldg)
[PM]: Anson Road (Mapletree Anson) → Canberra Road (Blk 508 CP)
|Passes Through||Admiralty Link, Sembawang Dr, Dhoby Ghaut|
|Route Length||28.4km (D1) | 28.6km (D2)|
|Traveling Time||77 mins (AM) | 81 mins (PM)|
|BCM Route Package||City Direct Bus Services|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus
– MAN A22
|Departure Times from Canberra Rd
||0720 – 0740 (Weekdays except Public Holidays), 3 Trips|
|Departure Times from Anson Rd
||1810 – 1825 (Weekdays except Public Holidays), 2 Trips|
|10 mins||15 mins|
City Direct Service 656 provides residents of Sembawang with greater connectivity to the CBD. Running parallel to existing rail lines, the service provides a travel alternative for commuters who relied on the rail network and feeder buses to and from work. The route incorporates an express sector between Sembawang Avenue and Dhoby Ghaut via SLE and CTE.
This is the sixth City Direct service to be introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP), providing more options for commuters using stretches of the existing rail lines that experience persistently high ridership, while the ongoing rail enhancement measures are being implemented.
From 10 March 2014, less than a month after introduction, an additional morning trip was added. Existing departure timings were revised. Yet another additional morning trip was added from 14 July 2014, bringing the total number of morning trips to the CBD to four. Following the takeover by SMRT Buses on 17 Apr 2017, morning trips were reduced to three.
- AM Peak from Canberra Rd: 0720hrs, 0730hrs, 0740hrs
- PM Peak from Anson Rd: 1810hrs, 1825hrs
Fares: Charges regular distance-based express fares.
- 17 Feb 2014 – 14 Apr 2017: Loh Gim Chong Transport
- 17 Apr 2017 onward: SMRT Buses Ltd
- 2014 (17 Feb): Introduced as a bidirectional AM/PM-Peak hour service from Sembawang to the CBD under the BSEP. Operates two trips on weekday mornings at 7:25am and 7:40am, and weekday evenings at 6:10pm and 6:25pm. Charges Distance-based flat fares.
- 2014 (10 Mar): Third morning trip added, departure times from Sembawang revised to 7:20am, 7:30am and 7:40am.
- 2014 (06 Apr): Revised fares as part of the Public Transport Fare Adjustment 2014
- 2014 (14 Jul): Fourth morning trip added, departure times from Sembawang revised to 7:20am, 7:26am, 7:34am and 7:40am.
- 2015 (23 Mar): Calls at new bus stop 03241 Anson Rd – Mapletree Anson instead of 03222 Anson Rd – Hub Synergy Point
- 2016 (18 Jan): Operating contract for City Direct 656 by Loh Gim Chong Transport extended by one more year.
- 2017 (17 Apr): Operations transferred to SMRT Buses Ltd with changes to AM Peak Trips. Departure times revised to 7:20am, 7:30am and 7:40am.
- 2017 (20 Nov): Start of non-regular double-decker bus operations
External Links & References: