SBS Transit Service 72 is a trunk service plying between Yio Chu Kang Interchange and Tampines Interchange, passing through Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5, Hougang and Tampines Road.
||Yio Chu Kang Bus Interchange ↔ Tampines Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Ang Mo Kio Ave 5, Hougang Ctrl, Tampines Rd|
|Route Length||17.5 km (D1) | 16.6 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||80 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Tampines Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Buses:
– Volvo B9TL
– Volvo B10TL
12-metre Single Deck Buses:
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Yio Chu Kang
||0530hrs – 2330hrs (Weekdays)
0545hrs – 2330hrs (Saturdays)
0600hrs – 2330hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
|Departure Times from Tampines||0515hrs – 2345hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0545hrs – 2345hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630 – 0830: 03 – 10 mins
0831 – 1659: 02 – 12 mins
1700 – 1900: 04 – 06 mins
After 1900: 08 – 14 mins
|0630 – 0830: 05 – 08 mins
0831 – 1659: 02 – 12 mins
1700 – 1900: 02 – 07 mins
After 1900: 04 – 13 mins
Service 72 is an inter-town route connecting residential towns of Ang Mo Kio, Hougang and Tampines. It is the only service plying Tampines Road between Tampines Link & KPE, and is the fastest bus route between Hougang Central and Tampines (compared to Service 27).
Since the opening of ITE College Central, demand for this route is exceedingly high during peak hours. A large number of Split-shift buses are used cope with demand.
MRT Stations Served
- Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 (ITE Coll Ctrl) → Tampines Int
Weekdays: 1533hrs, 1549hrs, 1554hrs, 1814hrs
- Hougang Ctrl (Opp Hougang Ctrl Int) → Tampines Int
Sundays / Public Holidays: 0550hrs, 0608hrs
- Tampines Ave 9 (Opp Blks 741/742) → Tampines Int
Weekdays: 0730hrs, 0753hrs, 0814hrs
- Hougang Ctrl (Hougang Ctrl Int) → Yio Chu Kang Int
- Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 (Opp ITE Coll Ctrl) → Yio Chu Kang Int
Weekdays: 81 trips from 1155hrs till 1908hrs
Short Trip Services:
- Service 72A: Yio Chu Kang Int → Hougang Ctrl (Opp Hougang Ctrl Int)
Weekdays: 0611hrs, 0710hrs, 0721hrs, 0809hrs, 0910hrs & 1010hrs
- Service 72B: Yio Chu Kang Int → Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 (ITE Coll Ctrl)
Weekdays (ITE School Term): 0658hrs, 0700hrs, 0702hrs, 0704hrs, 0707hrs, 0709hrs, 0712hrs, 0715hrs, 0718hrs, 0721hrs, 0724hrs, 0727hrs, 0730hrs, 0733hrs, 0736hrs, 0739hrs, 0742hrs, 0745hrs, 0748hrs, 0751hrs, 0754hrs, 0757hrs, 0800hrs, 0802hrs, 0804hrs, 0807hrs, 0810hrs, 0813hrs, 0816hrs, 0819hrs, 0822hrs, 0825hrs, 0828hrs, 0830hrs, 0833hrs, 0836hrs, 0838hrs, 0840hrs, 0842hrs, 0844hrs, 0846hrs, 0848hrs, 0850hrs, 0852hrs, 0854hrs, 0857hrs, 0900hrs, 0903hrs, 0906hrs, 0909hrs, 0912hrs, 0915hrs, 0918hrs, 0921hrs, 0924hrs, 0927hrs, 0930hrs, 0933hrs, 0936hrs, 0939hrs, 0943hrs, 0947hrs, 0951hrs, 0955hrs, 0959hrs, 1003hrs, 1007hrs, 1011hrs & 1015hrs
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
- 1996 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2024 under the Tampines Bus Package.
- 1996: Introduced as weekday peak-hour service between Yio Chu Kang Ter and Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 (Seagate). Operating at 0630hrs-0900hrs and 1600hrs-1830hrs.
- 1998: Amended to Tampines – Yio Chu Kang; full-day service after merger with Service 80
- 2003 (21 Jun): Amended to ply Hougang Central, under Plase 1 of NEL Rationalisation
- 2007 (27 May): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (30 Jul): Introduction of shortworking trip 72A from AMK Ave 8 to Hougang Ctrl during AM Peak hours
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (02 Jan): Introduction of shortworking trip 72B with the opening of ITE College Central; YCK Int to ITE during AM Peak hours
- 2017 (24 Dec): Amended to ply via Tampines Central 8 & Tampines Concourse towards Tampines Int.
- Refer to this article
- 2017: Amended to present routing.