SMRT NightRider NR5 is an overnight bus route running from Marina Centre Terminal to Jurong West Street 64, passing through City Hall, River Valley, Orchard, Kim Seng, Tiong Bahru, Commonwealth, Clementi, Toh Tuck, Jurong East and Jurong West.
Operating on Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays, it is one of six NightRider bus routes operated by SMRT Buses.
NightRider Services will remain suspended until further notice, starting from 8 April 2020.
- No boarding at Marina Centre Bus Terminal
|Route||Marina Centre Bus Terminal → Jurong West Street 64 (Blk 685B)|
|Passes Through||City Hall, Clarke Quay, River Valley, Orchard, Kim Seng, Tiong Bahru, Commonwealth, Clementi, Toh Tuck, Jurong East, Jurong West|
|Route Length||33.7 km|
|Traveling Time||80 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Woodlands Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus
– MAN A22
|Departure Times from Marina Centre
||Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays|
|23:30 – 02:00|
|From Marina Centre
|Fare||Flat Fare – $4.50.
Transfer benefits from distance fares & monthly concession passes are not applicable.
|Note||Free Transfer to another NightRider Service
Passengers who tap their cards on the Exit reader when alighting from the first NightRider Service enjoy a free transfer to another NightRider Service within 45 minutes.
NightRider NR5 is a late-night service connecting the city areas of Marina Centre, City Hall, River Valley and Orchard with the residential estates of Tiong Bahru, Commonwealth, Clementi, Toh Tuck, Jurong East and Jurong West. Operating only on Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays, the route shuttles late-night dwellers from the City to the residential estates outside the City.
A large portion of the route duplicates the East-West Line, from Tiong Bahru to Jurong East. During festive periods such as Christmas Eve or New Years’ Eve, more departures and downroute buses will be added to cater for late-night dwellers.
NightRider NR5 was introduced on 26th May 2000 by Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS). Originally a single-directional service from Scotts Road to Jurong West St 75, it was later converted to bi-directional loop operation starting from St. Michael’s Ter. It offered daily unidirectional service in 2003 after merger with SMRT NightBus SN30 (operating Marina Centre to Jurong West St 75), with no change to its Friday, Saturday & Eves of PH bidirectional routing. Weekday night services were cancelled in 2004 owing to low demand, and the weekend route was amended to operating between Marina Centre and Jurong West St 75. Finally, the route was converted to unidirectional operation terminating at Jurong West in 2014.
MRT Stations Served
- NS25EW13 City Hall
- NE5 Clarke Quay
- DT20 Fort Canning
- NS23 Somerset
- NS22 Orchard
- EW17 Tiong Bahru
- EW18 Redhill
- EW19 Queenstown
- EW20 Commonwealth
- EW21CC22 Buona Vista
- EW22 Dover
- EW23 Clementi
- EW27 Boon Lay
- From Marina Centre Terminal (Fridays, Saturdays & Eve of Public Holidays):
23:30, 00:00, 00:30, 01:00, 01:30 & 02:00
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Woodlands Bus Package.
- 2000 (26 May): Introduced as a unidirectional night service from Scotts Road to Boon Lay Ave
- 2000 (18 Dec): Converted into bidirectional service from St. Michael’s Ter and looping at Jurong West St 75
- 2003 (01 Jul): Merged with Night Service SN30 to provide additional unidirectional weeknight departures from Marina Centre to Jurong West St 75. Services on Fridays/Saturdays/eves of PHs remained bidirectional, but were amended to start from Marina Centre, removing the Whampoa/Balestier sector. During the weeknight services, Bus-Plus buses were used instead of the normal SMRT buses.
- 2004 (23 May): Weeknight services withdrawn due to low demand
- 2005 (02 Jul): Amended to ply Grange Rd and Orchard Link with the partial closure of Somerset Rd; Skips abolished bus stop outside Clifford Ctr along Collyer Quay
- 2005 (30 Oct): Serves new bus stop outside Blk 94 along Zion Rd
- 2014 (27 Apr): Serves new bus stop outside Queens Condo along Commonwealth Ave
- 2014 (30 Apr): Converted to unidirectional operation from Marina Centre to Jurong West due to low ridership. Revised departure times from 11:30pm and 2:00am, and City-bound return services will cease to operate.
- 2017 (17 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2018 (13 July): Calls at an additional bus stop along Jurong West Street 64 (Blk 678D)
- 2020 (08 Apr – 01 Jun): Temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (02 Jun): Suspended until further notice