Phase 2 of the Cross Island Line (CRL) was announced on 20 September 2022. The CRL, which will open in phases from 2030, is Singapore’s eighth MRT line and its longest fully underground line.
At a visit to the work site of East Coast Integrated Depot, Transport Minister S Iswaran revealed the six stations as part of the 15-kilometre CRL Phase 2, two of which are interchange stations with existing lines. They are:
- CR14 Turf City
- CR15DT6 King Albert Park
- CR16 Maju
- CR17EW23 Clementi
- CR18 West Coast
- CR19 Jurong Lake District
The interchange stations for CRL Phase 2 will connect with the Downtown Line at King Albert Park, and East West Line at Clementi. This alignment was first hinted at back in December 2021 in an MRT system map that was shown to the public as part of an online virtual exhibition.
Construction works for CRL2 are expected to commence in 2023, with the stations opening by 2032.
Engineering studies for Phase 3, which will serve the Jurong Industrial Estate are ongoing as of September 2022.
An article by The Straits Times mentioned that based on an earlier LTA tender, Phase 3 will be about 13km long, consisting of at least 4 stations between Jurong and Tuas, of which two will be interchanges. An integrated train and bus depot in Tuas will also be built to serve the new line.
According to authorities, private lands being affected by acquisitions are:
- 2 industrial units owned by JTC that are currently leased to private entities at Block L Pandan Loop Industrial Estate
- A stratum of subterranean space under part of a car park at Casa Esperanza Condominium (995 Bukit Timah Rd)
External Links & References
- Cross Island Line – LTA
- Cross Island Line Phase 2 – LTA
- Six more MRT stations will be built in Phase 2 of Cross Island Line; to open by 2032 – cna
- Cross Island Line phase 2 to open by 2032 with 6 MRT stations, from Turf City to Jurong Lake District – The Straits Times
- Condo parking spaces, 2 industrial units to make way for Cross Island Line phase 2 – The Straits Times
Back to Cross Island Line