An SBS Transit Volvo B10BLE CNG registered SBS2988M has been preserved at St. Andrew’s Autism Centre, located at 1 Elliot Road. The decommissioned public bus, first spotted in February 2020, was donated by SBS Transit to support the education of students with special needs.
This bus is one of two known Volvo B10BLE CNG buses to have been preserved, the other being SBS2989K, which resides at Tan Tock Seng Hospital to facilitate patient rehabilitation.
The Volvo B10BLE bus was registered on 19 April 2002 as SBS2988M (Chassis Number YV3R4E3122A008449), and it was Singapore’s first Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) powered public bus. The bus was de-registered on 18 April 2019 after reaching its statutory lifespan of 17 years.
After de-registration, the bus was stored at Braddell Bus Park in the 2nd half of 2019.
In February 2020, the bus was spotted at St. Andrew’s Autism Centre, a non-profit organisation for the education, training and care of persons with autism and their families. The Autism Centre premises at East Coast comprises St. Andrew’s Autism School, St. Andrew’s Adult Autism Services, St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital Clinic (Elliot Road) and Chapel of Christ Our Hope.
Donated for Special Needs education
The decommissioned bus was donated by SBS Transit to build the confidence of students with special needs to travel safely and independently on public buses. With the buses on their school
grounds, they learn what to expect and how to manage their way around as part of their training curriculum.
References to SBS2988M preservation can also be found in SBS Transit’s 2o2o Sustainability Report. The other bus donated to a special needs school is a Volvo B10TL (SBS9817C), which resides at APSN Chaoyang School.
An air-conditioning unit is mounted on the front headwall of the bus.
All revenue service equipment had been removed when initially spotted in Feburuary 2020, but a follow-up visit in August 2022 revealed the installation of decommissioned card readers, presumably as a training aid.
Preserved Singapore buses
- Leyland Olympian (SBS7196Z) – Children’s playbus. Static display at Pat’s Schoolhouse (Jubilee Park)
- Nissan RX102K3 (STC 609) – LTA restoration; former Singapore Traction Company bus
- Leyland Olympian (SBS9168S) – Bought by a private collector and shipped to United Kingdom; local registration L888 SBS.
- Leyland Olympian (SBS6907X) – “The Red Bus” static display outside National Youth Council (Grange Road)
- Volvo B10BLE Bus (SBS2988M) – Used for special needs education at St. Andrew’s Autism Centre
- Volvo B10BLE Bus (SBS2989K) – Used for patient rehabilitation at Tan Tock Seng Hospital – Integrated Care Hub
- Volvo Olympian (SBS7227T) – Former student lounge at Temasek Junior College, scrapped in 2018
- Volvo B10TL (SBS9817C) – Used for special needs education at APSN Chaoyang School
- Volvo B10TL (SBS9844Z) – Bought by a private collector and shipped to Hong Kong
- Mobility Park @ Jurong Community Hospital; where a mock-up MAN A22 bus was custom made for rehabilitation purposes.
Back to Volvo B10BLE