SBS Transit Bus Service 16 is a trunk service plying between Bedok and Bukit Merah, passing through Marine Parade, Joo Chiat, Old Airport, Orchard Road and Tiong Bahru.
Service 16 resumed its original routing through Joo Chiat Road from 12 Nov 2017.
|Bus Service 16: Bedok ↔ Bukit Merah
Towards Bukit Merah
||Bedok Bus Interchange ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Marine Parade, Joo Chiat, Old Airport, Orchard, Tiong Bahru|
|Route Length||21.9 km (D1) | 21.5 km (D2)|
|Traveling Time||95 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Bukit Merah Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)
Ayer Rajah Bus Park (ARBP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
– Volvo B10M Mark IV
|Departure Times from Bedok
||0530 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Bukit Merah
||0545 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 08 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 13 mins
1700-1900: 10 – 12 mins
After 1900: 10 – 12 mins
|0630-0830: 08 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 13 mins
1700-1900: 08 – 11 mins
After 1900: 10 – 13 mins
Spanning from Bedok to Bukit Merah, Service 16 connects the housing estates of Marine Parade, Old Airport, Bukit Merah and Tiong Bahru, as well as private estates around Joo Chiat and Upper East Coast, with connections to the City areas of Bras Basah, Orchard Road and Havelock. The route is well utilized between housing estates and the City, while also benefiting the Joo Chiat area with bus connections by plying a unique stretch of Joo Chiat Road.
The route compliments Service 14 between the Mountbatten area and Orchard Road. Between Marine Parade and Orchard Road, the route compliments Service 36 by often being less crowded, although taking a longer route. Demand for the service is moderate to high throughout the day owing to unique sectors and City-estate connections.
From September 2010, the route was amended to skip the Stadium area due to the construction of the new Singapore Sports Hub. It remains to be seen if Service 16 will be amended back to serve the Stadium area, which is currently, only served by Service 11.
MRT Stations Served:
- EW5 Bedok
- EW13NS25 City Hall
- EW17 Tiong Bahru
- NS22 Orchard
- NS23 Somerset
- NS24NE6CC1 Dhoby Ghaut
- CC2 Bras Basah
- CC3 Esplanade
- CC5 Nicoll Highway
- CC7 Mountbatten
- CC8 Dakota
- DT21 Bencoolen
- Upp East Coast Rd (Crescendo Bldg) → Bedok Int
Weekdays: 0615hrs, 0630hrs
Fleet: See Above.
- 1976 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2018 under the Bukit Merah Bus Package.
- 1976: Introduced between Marine Terrace and Telok Blangah Heights
- 1980: Amended to Bt Merah Int
- 1981: Amended to Marine Parade Ter
- 1987: Amended to serve Kallang Park / National Stadium in both directions after 1845hrs
- 1990/91: Amended to serve Zion Rd / Kim Seng Rd / Outram Rd instead of Lower Delta Rd and River Valley Rd
- 1993: Extended to Changi Airport PTB1 and PTB2 following merger with Service 149
- 1994: Introduction of Express Service 16E, which plies along ECP on certain sectors and operates during the peak hours
- ???: Amended to serve Kallang Park / National Stadium all-day
- 1998 (Sep): Shortened back to Marine Parade Terminal when Express service 16E was converted to full-day trunk service and renumbered Service 36
- 2001 (16 Sep): Amended to loop at Siglap Link with the closure of Marine Parade Ter
- 2002 (Feb): Amended to ply Stadium Walk/Cres due to Circle Line construction works.
- 2004 (20 Apr): Diverted via Kallang Road until 6th Dec 2004 due to Nicoll Highway Collapse
- 2007 (19 Aug): Extended to Bedok Interchange via Upper East Coast Rd, Bedok South Ave 1, Bedok South Rd & Bedok North Ave 1
- 2010 (29 Sep): Amended to Mountbatten Rd, skipping Stadium Blvd, Stadium Cres, Stadium Rd & Stadium Walk due to Singapore Sports Hub construction works.
- 2011 (19 Nov): Amended to Bedok Temp Int
- 2014 (30 Nov): Amended to Bedok Integrated Transport Hub
- 2017 (09 Apr): Amended to East Coast Rd / Still Rd South temporarily due to Thomson-East Coast Line construction works
- 2017 (11 Nov): Amended back to Joo Chiat Road
- Refer to this article
- 2017: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2017.