Go-Ahead Bus Service 36 is a loop service between Changi Airport and Tomlinson Road, passing through Marine Parade, Suntec City and Orchard, with express sectors along the East Coast Parkway (ECP). Passing through the basements of Changi Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 and 3, it is also the only bus service to terminate at the Airport.
Bus Service 36 will be amended to ply via Changi Airport Terminal 4 from 22 Oct 2017
||Changi Airport PTB2 ↺ Tomlinson Road (Loop)|
|Passes Through||ECP, Marine Parade, Suntec City, City Hall, Dhoby Ghaut, Orchard|
|Route Length||51.9 km|
|Traveling Time||140 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Loyang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||Go-Ahead Singapore (Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd)|
|Current Depot||Loyang Bus Depot|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from
Changi Airport T3
|Departure Times from
Changi Airport T2
|Departure Times from
|Daily: 0530hrs – 2345hrs|
|0630 – 0830: 04 – 09 mins
0831 – 1659: 05 – 14 mins
1700 – 1900: 09 – 13 mins
After 1900: 12 – 14 mins
Service 36 is a trunk route from Changi Airport and looping at Tomlinson Road, passing through Marine Parade, Suntec City / Marina Centre, Bras Basah, Dhoby Ghaut and Orchard Road. The route was introduced in 1997 (renumbered from Service 16E) as a unidirectional peak hour service from Changi Airport to Bukit Merah, and amended into its present form in 1998.
Much of its demand comes from within the city, as well as between Marine Parade and the City. Because of its relatively long route and city sectors, this service is prone to delays and bus bunching. As a direct route between Marine Parade and Suntec/Orchard, this service encounters good demand throughout the day, especially during peak periods and weekends. Service 36 is occasionally used by tourists as a direct bus option from Changi Airport to the city, as compared to other forms of public transport.
Service 36 is currently the only route to terminate at Changi Airport after the other services were converted to loop at Changi Airport. Passengers wishing to continue their journey after Terminal 2 can stay onboard the bus while another driver takes over. This is a common practice for Service 36 known as jumpbus, where bus drivers rotate themselves between buses and do not stick to a permanent bus for the day.
From Changi Airport, Service 36 is the only route that connects to the City. As such, it provides an alternative to commuters apart from the East-West Line. At Marine Parade, it provides the fastest connection to Suntec City and Raffles Avenue. An alternative route to Dhoby Ghaut and Orchard Road is Service 16.
This service skips the bus stop outside SATS Inflight Catering Centre along Airport Blvd towards the City due to the lack of space for the bus to immediately filter right after the stop. It also calls at the only bus stop along the ECP (Aft E.C. Sea Sports Club), within Carpark F3 of East Coast Park.
Changi Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 and 3 have their bus stops integrated into their basement levels, which also serves as a cargo loading and unloading bay. Security checks for any unattended or suspicious articles are carried out before a bus enters each Airport PTB. Double-deck buses are unable to enter Changi Airport basement owing to height restrictions.
Occasionally when Changi Airport basement is closed, buses will be diverted to to T1/T2/T3 Departure Drive where a temporary bus stop will be set up.
Service 36 serves Terminal 4 along with Services 24, 34 & 110 from 22 Oct 2017.
- Tomlinson Road (The Regent S’pore) → Changi Airport PTB2
Daily: 0530hrs – 0720hrs and Weekdays PM Peak hours
- Changi Airport PTB3 → Changi Airport PTB2
Weekdays: 0555hrs onwards
- Service 36A: Changi Airport PTB2 → Tomlinson Rd (The Regent S’pore)
Daily, after the last departure of Service 36.
- Service 36B: Marine Parade Road (Lagoon View) → Siglap Road (Opp Mandarin Gdns), via Tomlinson Road
Weekdays Morning & Evening Peak hours only
|Service 36A departure timings:|
|Weekdays:||2300hrs, 2308hrs, 2314hrs, 2321hrs, 2331hrs, 2343hrs, 2352hrs, 2358hrs (8 trips)|
|Saturdays:||2304hrs, 2316hrs, 2328hrs, 2337hrs, 2346hrs, 2355hrs, 0004hrs (7 trips)|
|Sundays/PHs:||2304hrs, 2316hrs, 2326hrs, 2336hrs, 2347hrs, 2357hrs (6 trips)|
|Timings provided are for buses departing PTB2. Passengers boarding the bus at PTB3 should be waiting for the bus 10 minutes before the aforementioned timings.|
MRT Stations served by this route:
- 1997 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – 17 Sep 2016: SBS Transit Ltd
- 18 Sep 2016 onwards: Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021 under the Loyang Bus Package.
- 1997 (01 Dec): Re-numbered directly from Service 16E, a unidirectional peak hour service from Changi Airport PTB to Bt Merah Int
- 1998: Amended as a loop service between Changi Airport PTB and Tomlinson Rd, and serves Suntec City. Service 16 was shortened to Marine Parade Terminal.
- 2007 (11 Nov): Amended to serve Changi Airport PTB3
- 2009 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2013 (28 Jul): Calls at a new pair of bus stops along Tanjong Katong Road South
- 2014: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2016 (18 Sep): Operations transferred to Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd from SBS Transit Ltd.
- 2017 (22 Oct): Extended to serve Changi Airport PTB4
- Refer to this article
- 1998: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1998.
External Links and References: