MRT NightRider NR5 is an overnight bus route running from Marina Centre Terminal to Jurong West Street 64, passing through City Hall, River Valley, Orchard, Kim Seng, Tiong Bahru, Commonwealth, Clementi, Toh Tuck, Jurong East and Jurong West.
Operating on Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays, it is one of seven NightRider bus routes operated by SMRT Buses.
Route Details (Click to expand)
SMRT NightRider NR5: Marina Centre → Jurong West St 64
- No Boarding and Alighting at Marina Centre Terminal
||Marina Centre Bus Terminal → Jurong West Street 64 (Blk 685B)|
|Passes Through||City Hall, Clarke Quay, River Valley, Orchard, Kim Seng, Tiong Bahru, Commonwealth, Clementi, Toh Tuck, Jurong East, Jurong West|
|Route Length||34.0 km|
|Travelling Time||80 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Woodlands Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-Meter Single Decker Buses /
18-Meter Articulated Buses
|Departure Times from Marina Centre
||Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays
2330hrs – 0200hrs (the following day)
NightRider NR5 is a late-night service connecting the city areas of Marina Centre, City Hall, River Valley and Orchard with the residential estates of Tiong Bahru, Commonwealth, Clementi, Toh Tuck, Jurong East and Jurong West. Operating only on Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays (and special occasions if announced), the route shuttles late-night dwellers from the City to the residential estates outside the City.
A large portion of the route duplicates the East-West Line, from Tiong Bahru to Jurong East. During festive periods such as Christmas Eve or New Years’ Eve, more departures and downroute buses will be added to cater for late-night dwellers.
NightRider NR5 was introduced on 26th May 2000 by Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS). Originally a single-directional service from Scotts Road to Jurong West St 75, it was later converted to bi-directional loop operation starting from St. Michael’s Ter. It offered daily unidirectional service in 2003 after merger with SMRT NightBus SN30 (operating Marina Centre to Jurong West St 75), with no change to its Friday, Saturday & Eves of PH bidirectional routing. Weekday night services were cancelled in 2004 owing to low demand, and the weekend route was amended to operating between Marina Centre and Jurong West St 75. Finally, the route was converted to unidirectional operation terminating at Jurong West in 2014.
- From Marina Centre Terminal: 2330hrs, 0000hrs, 0030hrs, 0100hrs, 0130hrs & 0200hrs.
Flat Fare: $4.50 (Cash / Ez-link card)
NightRider commuters who pay by ez-link card will enjoy a free transfer to another NightRider service within a stipulated time of 45mins. This is not applicable when transferring from an ordinary service to a NightRider service. Concessionary travel is not applicable.
This service uses any random buses from Woodlands Bus Depot, usually Mercedes-Benz O405G or MAN NL323F buses. During festive periods, more high-capacity bendy buses will be deployed.
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Woodlands Bus Package.
- 2000 (26 May): Introduced as a unidirectional night service from Scotts Road to Jurong West St 75
- 2000 (18 Dec): Converted into bidirectional service from St. Michael’s Ter and looping at Jurong West St 75
- 2003 (01 Jul): Merged with Night Service SN30 to provide additional unidirectional weeknight departures from Marina Centre to Jurong West St 75. Services on Fridays/Saturdays/eves of PHs remained bidirectional, but were amended to start from Marina Centre, removing the Whampoa/Balestier sector. During the weeknight services, Bus-Plus buses were used instead of the normal SMRT buses.
- 2004 (23 May): Weeknight services withdrawn due to low demand
- 2014 (30 Apr): Converted to unidirectional operation from Marina Centre to Jurong West due to low ridership. Revised departure times from 11:30pm and 2:00am, and City-bound return services will cease to operate.
- Refer to this article
- 2014: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2014.
External Links & References: