Express 12, also known as the Changi Airport—Bugis Express Shuttle Bus Service, is a Rail Replacement Service connecting Changi Airport and Bugis stations with no intermediate stops.
The route will be activated to operate on 12 March, 14 March, as well as Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in March & April 2018, when shortened operating hours are implemented on the East West Line to facilitate more time for track maintenance and renewal work.
The Shuttle Bus Service serves just two MRT Stations:
|Express 12: Changi Airport—Bugis Shuttle Bus Service|
|Direction 1 – Towards Bugis
||Direction 2 – Towards Changi Airport
||Changi Airport Terminal 3 (Changi Airport MRT) ↔ Bugis MRT
|Travelling Time||30 mins
|BCM Route Package||Not Applicable|
|Operator||BT & TAN Transport Pte Ltd
Ren Quan Transport Pte Ltd
Go-Ahead Singapore (Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd)
|Current Fleet||Private Buses
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from Changi Airport
||11.11pm – 12.16am (Early Closure on Affected Fridays & Saturdays)
5.36am – 8.19am (Late Opening on Affected Saturdays)
6.04am – 8.19am (Late Opening on Affected Sundays)
10.47pm – 12.16am (Extended Early Closure on 12 & 14 March)
|Departure Times from Bugis
||11.19pm – 12.32am (Early Closure on Affected Fridays & Saturdays)
6.03am – 8.27am (Late Opening on Affected Saturdays)
6.31am – 8.27am (Late Opening on Affected Sundays)
10.49pm – 12.32am (Extended Early Closure on 12 & 14 March)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|15 – 18 mins||15 – 18 mins|
The Shuttle Bus Service will only operate on affected days in March & April.
These Days are as follows:
- 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 25, 30 & 31 March
- 1, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 27, 28 & 29 April
- On days of Extended Early Closure (12 & 14 March),
buses will operate from the start time of the extended early closure till the stipulated last bus timings below.
- On days of Early Closure (2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30 & 31 March, 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 & 28 April)
buses will operate from the start time of the early closure till the stipulated last bus timings below.
- On days of Late Opening (3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25 & 31 March, 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28 & 29 April),
buses will operate from the stipulated first bus timings below till the start time of normal train operations.
This Shuttle Service was reflected as Bus Service 495 on the Bus Ticketing System.
Shuttle Bus Departure Timings from Stations
Shuttle Bus Transfer at Changi Airport
- Shuttle 8: Tanah Merah – Changi Airport
Changi Airport Terminal 3 (Departure Hall Gate 8)
Shuttle Bus Transfer at Bugis
- Shuttle 6: Raffles Place—Paya Lebar
Bus Stop 01113: Bugis Stn (Exit A), Victoria Street
History of Activation
To speed up implementation of the new CBTC signalling system, shortened operating hours on the East West Line between Aljunied—Pasir Ris, as well as reduced train frequencies on the North South Line between Orchard—Marina South Pier, were implemented across various Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in January and February 2018. A total of 11 EWL stations were affected by the reduced train operating hours.
Express 12 was introduced to provide commuters with faster connectivity between Changi Airport and Bugis in Downtown Singapore, where commuters can change for the East West Line and the Downtown Line to other destinations. However, passengers are advised to check train services timings, as the shuttle bus service may not connect to the last train departing the station.
March & April 2018:
To speed up implementation of the new CBTC signalling system, shortened operating hours were implemented on the East West Line between Pasir Ris—Tuas Link, and Tanah Merah—Changi Airport, across various Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays on March & April 2018, and additionally, Extended Early Closures on 12 & 14 March.
A total of 35 East West Line stations were affected by the early train service end times and delayed train service start times. Other train lines such as the North South Line are not affected.
The route is one of ten Rail Replacement Services during the period of closure. Bus stops served are similar to those served by the regular EWL Bridging Bus, with some changes.
For the benefit of Airport travellers, luggage space is provided on Express 12. The wheelchair bay of the bus doubles as a luggage area and staff members will be deployed on the ground to assist commuters with the loading and unloading of luggage prior to the March Early Closures & Late Opening.
From March 2018, the luggage bay of Private Buses operating on Express 12 were used to store luggage.
Charges regular distance fare based on the distance between MRT Stations by rail. Train, bus and hybrid concession passes are accepted, and distance fare rules apply.
|Category||Card Fares||Cash Fares|
|Adult / Workfare Transport Concession Card holders||Follows MRT Fare structure||$1.00|
|Senior Citizen / Persons with Disabilities Card holders||$0.50|
|Student Concession Card holders||$0.50|
Other Rail Replacement Services
The route is one of ten Shuttle Bus Services operating during periods of planned closure in March & April 2018, the other routes being:
- Shuttle 1: Buona Vista—Raffles Place
- Shuttle 2: Joo Koon—Buona Vista
- Shuttle 3: Tuas Link—Joo Koon
- Express 5: Boon Lay—Outram Park (via Jurong East & Buona Vista only)
- Shuttle 6: Raffles Place—Paya Lebar
- Shuttle 7: Paya Lebar—Pasir Ris
- Shuttle 8: Tanah Merah—Changi Airport
- Express 13: Bedok—Bedok North
- Express 15: Clementi—Beauty World
Private Bus Operators (March 2018)
For the first time, Private Bus Operators (PBOs) were roped in to assist with the Shuttle Bus Services. Express 12 was served by coach buses from BT & TAN Transport Pte Ltd and Ren Quan Transport Pte Ltd deployed coach buses. These companies were contracted by the LTA for City Direct services and had buses fitted with revenue service equipment.
- 2018 (01 Jan): Route announced by SMRT Corporation between Changi Airport and Bugis
- 2018 (05 Jan): Launched as a Shuttle Bus Service between Changi Airport & Bugis, operating during periods of MRT closure
- 2018 (19 Jan): Extra days of shuttle operation in February (2, 3 & 4) announced
- 2018 (02 Mar): Start of operations for March 2018 MRT Early Closure, Late Opening with revised operating details
- 2018 (22 Mar): Extended operating days to Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays in April 2018
Page 2: More Photos
Page 3: Express 12 (Jan 2018) Route Information