City Direct Services are express bus routes which run one-way trips between residential estates and the Central Business District (CBD) during weekday peak hours, except on Public Holidays. These services are operated by private bus operators using coaches, which provide commuters with a direct and comfortable bus ride between home and work. Public Bus Operators also operate City Direct Bus Services since Apr 2017, taking over some services which were previously ran by private bus operators. With limited stops and the use of expressways, commuters using these services would have comparable journey time to taking a feeder bus service or a LRT service to the nearest MRT station and transferring to the rail network towards the city.
Currently, 22 City Direct Bus Services are in operation, serving the following residential estates: Ang Mo Kio, Bedok, Buangkok, Clementi, Dover, Eunos, Hillview, Hougang, Jurong East, Jurong West, Marsiling, Pasir Ris, Punggol, Sembawang, Sengkang, Simei, Tampines East, West Coast, Woodlands, Yew Tee, Yishun.
All City Direct will start at least two with one-way trips on weekday mornings from the respective housing estates towards the Central Business District (CBD), and similarly, at least two one-way trips will take commuters back home from the city in the evenings. More trips may be added depending on the demand for the services.
City Direct Services were introduced under the Bus Services Enhancement Programme (BSEP) to benefit commuters travelling to the city with improved connectivity. The move is in line with the Transport Minister’s announcement at the Committee of Supply 2013 to tap on the resources of private bus operators to run more City Direct bus services to augment the resources of the public transport operators (PTOs). Currently, Express services 513, 850E, 951E and 982E are operated by Public Transport Operators (PTOs) and run parallel to train lines between estates and the city.
In March 2014, an expansion of the BSEP was announced, increasing the total number of new BSEP routes to 80 services, which includes 20 City Direct services.
In March 2015, LTA announced 12 new City Direct Services to be progressively introduced from Q2 2015. (an additional of 2 more services) This brings the total of City Direct Services under the BSEP scheme to 22.
List of City Direct Services:
|City Direct No.||Area||Morning Trips||Evening Trips|
|651||Jurong West||0730hrs, 0745hrs||1815hrs, 1830hrs|
|652||Ang Mo Kio||0725hrs, 0731hrs, 0737hrs, 0743hrs, 0750hrs||1810hrs, 1825hrs|
|653||Hillview||0715hrs, 0725hrs, 0735hrs, 0745hrs||1815hrs, 1830hrs|
|654||Sengkang||0730hrs, 0736hrs, 0742hrs, 0749hrs, 0755hrs||1820hrs, 1835hrs|
|655||West Coast||0735hrs, 0750hrs||1820hrs, 1835hrs|
|656||Sembawang||0720hrs, 0730hrs, 0740hrs||1810hrs, 1825hrs|
|657||Jurong East||0730hrs, 0745hrs||1815hrs, 1830hrs|
|658||Eunos||0740hrs, 0755hrs||1820hrs, 1835hrs|
|659||Bedok South||0730hrs, 0740hrs, 0750hrs||1815hrs, 1830hrs|
|660||Hougang||0730hrs, 0737hrs, 0744hrs, 0750hrs||1820hrs, 1835hrs|
|661||Pasir Ris||0730hrs, 0740hrs, 0750hrs||1810hrs, 1825hrs|
|662||Yew Tee||0725hrs, 0740hrs||1810hrs, 1825hrs|
|663||Yishun East||0720hrs, 0730hrs, 0740hrs, 0750hrs
From 28 Sep 2017:
|664||Tampines East / Simei||0730hrs, 0745hrs||1815hrs, 1830hrs|
|665||Marsiling / Woodlands||0710hrs, 0716hrs, 0721hrs, 0727hrs, 0734hrs, 0740hrs||1815hrs, 1830hrs|
|666||Punggol||0725hrs, 0740hrs||1810hrs, 1825hrs|
|667||Clementi / Dover||0745hrs, 0800hrs||1820hrs, 1835hrs|
|668||Ang Mo Kio / Yio Chu Kang||0730hrs, 0740hrs, 0750hrs||1810hrs, 1825hrs|
|669||Bedok Reservoir||0740hrs, 0755hrs||1810hrs, 1830hrs|
|670||Yishun West||0720hrs, 0730hrs, 0740hrs||1810hrs, 1825hrs|
|671||Sengkang / Buangkok||0735hrs, 0750hrs||1820hrs,
- 21 Nov 2012: LTA calls for tender for private bus operators to run a City Direct service between Jurong West and the CBD
- June 2013: The contract to operate the Jurong West City Direct bus service – the first under BSEP – awarded to private bus operator ComfortDelGro Bus Pte Ltd. ComfortDelGro Bus submitted the lowest bid – at about $1,058,560 over a two-year period – that was able to fully meet the tender requirements. The Jurong West City Direct bus service will be introduced in September 2013. Tenders are called for 9 more City Direct services.
- 02 Sep 2013: City Direct 651 launches under ComfortDelGro Bus
- Nov 2013: Contracts for 6 City direct bus routes, to 5 private bus operators. City Direct Ang Mo Kio & Sengkang has been awared to Ren Quan Transport, while Comfort DelGro Bus Pte Ltd will operate the Bukit Batok/Hillview route. Loh Gim Chong will operate the City Direct Sembawang bus service, while Transtar Travel Pte Ltd and Woodlands Transport Service Pte Ltd will run the routes in Jurong East and West Coast respectively.
- 04 Feb 2014: Contracts for 3 City direct routes, from Hougang, Bukit Batok and Eunos awarded to Aedge Holdings Pte Ltd for $3.4 million.
- 09 Feb 2015: LTA calls for tender for private bus operators to run City Direct services from Yew Tee, Marsiling/Woodlands, Yishun, Pasir Ris, Tampines East/Simei to and fro the CBD.
- 11 Mar 2015: LTA announces 12 City Direct Services to be launched from Q2 2015 onwards, an increase of 2 services from the original announcement.
- 21 Jul 2015: Tenders for City Direct 661 – 665 awarded, City Direct 666 – 670 routing region announced.
- 05 Aug 2015: Tender for City Direct 666 – 670 open, closes on 31 Aug 2015.
- 14 Dec 2015: Tenders for City Direct 666 – 670 awarded.
- 18 Jan 2016: Contracts for City Direct 651 – 657 extended for 1 more year
- 15 Apr 2016: Tenders for City Direct 651, 671, 672 open, closes on 10 May 2016.
- 01 Aug 2016: Tenders for City Direct 651, 671 & 672 awarded to Rui Feng Chartered Pte Ltd.
Tenders for City Direct 652, 653, 654, 655, 656 & 657 open.
- 14 Nov 2016: Tender for City Direct 654 awarded to BT&Tan Transport Pte Ltd. Tender for City Direct 653, 655, 656 & 657 not awarded.
- Apr 2017: Transfer of operations for City Direct 653, 655, 656 & 657 to Public Transport Operators.
- 12 May 2017: Tenders for City Direct 658, 659 & 660 open.
- 22 Jun 2017: Tenders for City Direct 661, 662, 663, 664 & 665 open.
- 10 Jul 2017: Tender for City Direct 658, 659 & 660 not awarded.
- 30 Aug 2017: Tenders for City Direct 661, 662, 663, 664 & 665 not awarded.
- Sep 2017: Transfer of operations for City Direct 663 to Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd.
Fares are charged based on distance-based fares for express bus services. Entry and exit card readers will ensure the correct fare is charged based on the distance travelled, similar to regular Express bus routes. Calculate your bus fare using LTA’s official fare calculator at MyTransport.sg by clicking here.
City Directs 651 – 660 used to charge a flat fare based on the maximum distance-based fare scheme (DBF) for Express routes prior to 2016. LTA has progressively converted the fare scheme to charge distance based fares between Q4 2015 and Mid 2016.
Boarding & Alighting Locations:
|AM Peak (Alighting Points)||PM Peak (Boarding points)|
|City Direct 651, 653, 655, 657, 661, 662, 664, 666, 667, 668, 669, 670, 671, 672||Anson Road
|City Direct 652, 656, 660, 663, 665||Orchard Road
Bras Basah Road
|City Direct 654, 658, 659||Central Boulevard
City Direct services operate during the morning and evening peak hours in single directions.
Back to Bus Service Classifications