SMRT Express Service 982E is an AM/PM-Peak Express service between Choa Chu Kang and Marina Bay, passing through Teck Whye Avenue, AYE and Shenton Way. It is the eighth bus service introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP).
Bus Service 982E is wheelchair-accessible from 17 Sep 2017
RouteRoute Details (Click to expand)
|Bus Service 982E: Choa Chu Kang Ave 5 ↔ Marina Bay
Towards CBD / Marina Bay
Towards Choa Chu Kang
||[AM]: Choa Chu Kang Avenue 5 (Blk 483) → Marina Boulevard (Marina Bay Financial Center)
[PM]: Central Boulevard (Marina Bay Stn) → Choa Chu Kang Avenue 5 (Blk 486)
|Passes Through||Teck Whye Ave, AYE, Shenton Way|
|Route Length||26.3km (D1) | 26.6km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||75 mins (AM Peak) | 76 mins (PM Peak)|
|BCM Route Package||Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd
|Current Depot||Kranji Bus Depot (KJDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from CCK Ave 5
||0730 – 0745 (Weekdays | 2 trips)|
|Departure Times from Marina Bay
||1815 – 1830 (Weekdays | 2 trips)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|AM Peak: 15 mins||PM Peak: 15 mins|
Introduced on Express service 982E provides residents of Choa Chu Kang with greater connectivity to Shenton Way and Marina Bay. By running parallel to existing rail lines, the service provides a travel alternative for commuters who relied on the rail network to and from work in the Central areas. The route incorporates an express sector between Teck Whye Avenue and Anson Road via Bukit Batok Road, Jurong Town Hall Road, Ayer Rajah Expressway and Keppel Road.
This is the eighth bus service to be introduced under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP), which provides more options for commuters using stretches of the existing rail lines that experience persistently high ridership, while ongoing rail enhancement measures are being implemented. As such, buses operating on this route are funded under the BSEP.
Operating during weekday peak hours only, Service 982E’s demand has remained moderate in the low to moderate range unlike other Shenton Way peak-hour express services by SMRT such as 850E, 951E and 971E, all of which have morning departures increased due to high demand on a daily basis. Buses on the route are usually fully seated with little to no standing passengers.
Apart from Express 982E, Premium 556, 557 and Premium 725 also offer direct services to Shenton Way, but charges higher fares. Alternatively, trunk Service 700 plies from Bukit Panjang to Bras Basah via Orchard Road, but the hassle of transferring buses and longer journey time may not appeal to many commuters.
- From Blk 483, Choa Chu Kang Ave 5: 0730hrs, 0745hrs
- From Marina Bay Stn, Central Blvd: 1815hrs, 1830hrs
LRT Stations Served:
MRT Stations Served:
Route Extension at Choa Chu Kang Avenue 5
The extension for Service 982E to Keat Hong Close with 2 new pairs of bus stops was supposed to start from Monday, 16 Feb 2015 under LTA’s BSEP Scheme. However, on 10 Feb 2015, the extension was postponed along with the planned introduction on Services 301, 983 and amendment to Service 300.
The revised extension of Service 982E effective from 27 Apr 2015 covers an additional pair of bus stops along the extended Choa Chu Kang Avenue 5 only, without the bus stops along Keat Hong Close as residential apartments in the area are still under construction.
Fleet: See Above
- 2013 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package.
- 2013 (18 Mar): Introduced as a bidirectional AM/PM-Peak hour service from Choa Chu Kang to Central Blvd under the BSEP. Operates two trips on weekday mornings at 7:40am and 7:50am, and weekday evenings at 6:15pm and 6:30pm. Charges Express fares under the Distance-Based Fare scheme.
- 2013 (01 Dec): Calls at a new bus stop (03529 Downtown Stn) along Central Blvd
- 2014 (17 Feb): Morning departures re-timed from 0740hrs and 0750hrs to 0730hrs and 0745hrs
- 2014 (29 Sep): Marina South Area Route Amendments: PM trips of 982E towards Choa Chu Kang begins from the relocated bus stop 03539 Marina Bay Station along Central Blvd.
- 2015 (02 Feb): Route extension to Keat Hong Close announced, effective 16 Feb 2015. Proposed extension subsequently postponed to April 2015
- 2015 (27 Apr): Extended to serve an additional pair of bus stops along the extended Choa Chu Kang Ave 5, without serving stops along Keat Hong Close
- 2017 (17 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 2015: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2015.
External Links & References: