The Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package is one of fourteen bus packages under the Bus Contracting Model (BCM).
Under the BCM, bus routes are bundled into bus packages, consisting of a single bus depot, several bus interchanges/terminals, the bus routes and the buses themselves. With all bus infrastructure belonging to the Government, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) would contract out the bus package, select a bus operator (through a competitive tendering process), and lease these assets to the new operator.
The successful tenderer operates these bus routes and collects fares on behalf of LTA, while maintaining the associated bus infrastructure (buses & onboard equipment, depots, interchanges & terminals). In return, the operator is awarded an operating fee from LTA and potential bonuses via an incentive framework.
PT215 – Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package (Negotiated Contract Term: 2016 to 2026):
As part of the Bus Contracting Model which was fully implemented in September 2016, LTA entered into a Negotiated Contract with SMRT Buses to operate bus services under the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package until the awarded operator for the open tender of the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package takes over operations. This was announced to be in Year 2023 by LTA in 2016.
In September 2023, the Negotiated Contract was revealed to be extended by 3 years by LTA from 2023 to 2026, in an article (SMRT contracts for Woodlands, Choa Chu Kang-Bukit Panjang bus routes extended until 2026) by The Straits Times.
|Contract PT215: Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package (Negotiated Contract)|
|Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Duration||01 Sep 2016 – 2026
(extended by 3 years)
||61, 67, 75, 172, 176, 180, 184, 188, 188e, 190, 300, 301, 302, 307, 868E, 920, 922, 927, 970, 972/972M, 973, 975, 976, 979, 982E, 983, 985 & 991
(28 bus routes)
|Handover Date||29 May 2021
To Bulim Bus Package – Services 653, 657 & 944
|Anchor Bus Depot||Kranji Bus Depot|
|Anchor Bus Interchange / Terminal||Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange, Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange, Gali Batu Bus Terminal
Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park (Former)
|61||Bukit Batok ↔ Eunos||Trunk|
|67||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Tampines||Trunk|
|75||Gali Batu ↔ Marina Centre||Trunk|
|172||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Boon Lay||Trunk|
|176||Bukit Panjang ↔ Bukit Merah||Trunk|
|180||Boon Lay ↺ Bukit Panjang Road||Trunk|
|184||Gali Batu ↺ Commonwealth Avenue West||Trunk|
|188||Choa Chu Kang ↔ HarbourFront||Trunk|
|188e||Choa Chu Kang → HarbourFront||Express|
|190||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Kampong Bahru||Trunk|
|300||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Choa Chu Kang Avenue 3||Feeder|
|301||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Keat Hong Close||Feeder|
|302||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Choa Chu Kang Crescent||Feeder|
|307||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Choa Chu Kang Street 62 / Teck Whye Lane||Feeder|
|868E||Bukit Batok West Avenue 5 → Temasek Avenue||Express|
|920||Bukit Panjang ↺ Bangkit Road||Feeder|
|922||Bukit Panjang ↺ Bangkit Road||Feeder|
|927||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Mandai Lake Road||Trunk|
|970||Bukit Panjang ↔ Shenton Way||Trunk|
|972||Bukit Panjang ↺ Orchard Road||Trunk|
|973||Bukit Panjang ↺ Hume Avenue||Trunk|
|975||Bukit Panjang ↺ Lim Chu Kang Road||Trunk|
||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Bukit Panjang||Trunk|
|979||Bukit Panjang ↺ Choa Chu Kang Crescent||Trunk|
|982E||Choa Chu Kang Avenue 5 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Express|
|983||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Jelebu Road||Trunk|
|985||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Lorong 1 Geylang||Trunk|
|991||Bukit Batok ↔ Choa Chu Kang||Trunk|
Short Trip & Supplementary Bus Services
These services do not add to the overall service count.
|180A||Boon Lay → Bukit Panjang Road (Blk 183)||Short Trip|
|190A||Choa Chu Kang → Orchard Road (Dhoby Ghaut Stn)||Short Trip|
|302A||Choa Chu Kang Drive (Yew Tee Stn) → Choa Chu Kang Drive (Opp Yew Tee Stn)||Short Trip|
|307A||Choa Chu Kang → Choa Chu Kang Ave 4 (Opp Choa Chu Kang Stn)||Short Trip|
|307T||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Choa Chu Kang Street 62 / Teck Whye Lane||Terminating Trip|
|972A||Bukit Panjang → Orchard Road (Dhoby Ghaut Stn)||Short Trip|
|972M||Bukit Panjang ↺ Orchard Road||Variant|
|973A||Bukit Panjang → Pending Road (Bef Pending Stn)||Short Trip|
|975A||Choa Chu Kang Avenue 4 (Opp Choa Chu Kang Stn) → Brickland Road (Aft Hai Inn See Tp)||Short Trip|
|975B||Choa Chu Kang Avenue 4 (Opp Choa Chu Kang Stn) → Lim Chu Kang Road (Opp Lim Chu Kang Lane 3)||Short Trip|
|975C||Bukit Panjang → Lim Chu Kang Rd (Police Coast Guard)||Short Trip|
|983A||Choa Chu Kang → Choa Chu Kang Road (Blk 26)||Short Trip|
|991A||Bukit Batok → Bukit Batok West Avenue 3 (Princess E Pr Sch)||Short Trip|
|991B||Choa Chu Kang → Choa Chu Kang Avenue 1 (Opp Choa Chu Kang Mkt)||Short Trip|
|991C||Choa Chu Kang Avenue 3 (Opp Blk 464) → Bukit Batok West Avenue 5 (Bt Gombak Stn)||Short Trip|
Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package – Negotiated Contract (PT215) Timeline
- 2016 (11 Aug): Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package mentioned as one of 11 Negotiated Contract (NC) Packages, and operated by SMRT Buses.
- 2017 (13 Apr): City Direct 653 added to the Bus Package
- 2017 (24 Apr): City Direct 657 added to the Bus Package
- 2017 (27 Aug): Bus Service 944 added to the Bus Package
- 2018 (08 Jul): Bus Service 991 added to the Bus Package
- 2018 (13 Aug): Renumbering of Express Services 188E & 868 to 188e and 868E respectively
- 2018 (30 Sep): Bus Service 308 removed from the Bus Package following the withdrawal of the bus service
- 2019 (10 Nov): Bus Service BPS1 removed from the Bus Package following the withdrawal of the bus service; Bus Service 976 added to the Bus Package
- 2020 (08 Apr): Bus Services 653, 657, 868E, 971E, 982E, NR3 & NR8 temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (15 Apr): Bus Services 188e & 188R temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (02 Jun): Resumption of Bus Services 188e, 653, 657, 868E, 971E & 982E. Bus Services 188R, NR3 & NR8 remain suspended.
- 2020 (30 Aug): Bus Services 700 & 700A removed from the Bus Package following the withdrawal of the bus service
- 2020 (30 Aug): Bus Service 972M added to the Bus Package as a route variant of Service 972
- 2020 (31 Aug): Bus Service 971E converted to trunk service 971 with route amendment to serve Petir Road. Amended to start & end at Bukit Panjang Ring Road instead of Bukit Panjang Temp Bus Park during weekday morning & evening peak hours respectively.
- 2020 (26 Oct): Short Trip Service 991C added to the bus package
- 2021 (11 Apr): Short Trip Service 975C re-numbered from trips of Service 975 that terminate at Lim Chu Kang Rd (Police Coast Guard); Short Trip Services 67W & 75A withdrawn
- 2021 (29 May): Bus Services 653, 657 & 944 transferred to Bulim Bus Package
- 2022 (04 Apr): Bus Service 971 withdrawn
- 2022 (30 Jun): Bus Services 188R, NR3 & NR8 withdrawn
- 2023 (05 Sep): Negotiated Contract announced to have been extended by 3 years to 2026 by LTA & SMRT Buses in an article by The Straits Times
External Links & References:
- Bus Industry to complete transition to BCM on 1 Sep 2016 – LTA
- SMRT contracts for Woodlands, Choa Chu Kang-Bukit Panjang bus routes extended until 2026 – The Straits Times
Back to Bus Contracting Model