Bus Contracting Model (BCM) Route Package #8:
“Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package” (32 bus routes)
First announced on 11 August 2016, the Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package is one of fourteen bus packages to be released by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) as part of the transition to the Bus Contracting Model (BCM). Currently, SMRT Buses operates 31 bus services in this package under a Negotiated Contract (NC) model until Year 2023, while Tower Transit operates 1 Bus Service.
This package comprises 32 existing bus services mainly originating from Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange and Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange, with a handful originating at Bt Batok West Ave 5, Choa Chu Kang Ave 5, South Bridge Rd, Bukit Batok and Marina Centre.
All bus operations would be based out of Kranji Bus Depot.
This bus package has been referred to as “Gali Batu Bus Package” by staff from SMRT Buses.
|Name||To Be Announced|
|Awarded||To Be Announced|
|Duration||Five years, with two-year extension granted based on good performance|
|Published||To Be Announced|
|Closing||To Be Announced|
|Services||61, 67, 75, 172, 176, 180, 184, 188, 188e, 188R, 190, 300, 301, 302, 307, 868E, 920, 922, 927, 970, 971, 972/972M, 973, 974, 975, 976, 979, 982E, 983, 985, NR3, NR8|
|Bus Depot||Kranji Bus Depot|
|Anchor Interchanges / Terminals||Choa Chu Kang, Bukit Panjang|
Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package contains 33 existing bus services, 32 of which are currently operated by SMRT Buses and 1 by Tower Transit.
|61||Bukit Batok ↔ Eunos||Trunk|
|67||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Tampines||Trunk|
|75||Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park ↔ Marina Centre||Trunk|
|172||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Boon Lay||Trunk|
|176||Bukit Panjang ↔ Bukit Merah||Trunk|
|180||Boon Lay ↺ Bukit Panjang Road||Trunk|
|184||Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park ↺ Commonwealth Avenue West||Trunk|
|188||Choa Chu Kang ↔ HarbourFront||Trunk|
|188e||Choa Chu Kang → HarbourFront||Express|
|188R||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Resorts World Sentosa||Express|
|190||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Kampong Bahru||Trunk|
|300||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Choa Chu Kang Avenue 3||Feeder|
|301||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Keat Hong Close||Feeder|
|302||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Choa Chu Kang Crescent||Feeder|
|307||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Choa Chu Kang Street 62 / Teck Whye Lane||Feeder|
|868E||Bukit Batok West Avenue 5 → Temasek Avenue||Express|
|920||Bukit Panjang ↺ Bangkit Road||Feeder|
|922||Bukit Panjang ↺ Bangkit Road||Feeder|
|927||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Mandai Lake Road||Trunk|
|970||Bukit Panjang ↔ Shenton Way||Trunk|
|971||Bukit Panjang Ring Road ⇄ Cecil Street / Anson Road||Trunk|
|972||Bukit Panjang ↺ Orchard Road||Trunk|
|973||Bukit Panjang ↺ Hume Avenue||Trunk|
|974||Upper Bukit Timah Road ↔ Joo Koon||Trunk|
|975||Bukit Panjang ↺ Lim Chu Kang Road||Trunk|
||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Bukit Panjang||Trunk|
|979||Bukit Panjang ↺ Choa Chu Kang Crescent||Trunk|
|982E||Choa Chu Kang Avenue 5 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Express|
|983||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Jelebu Road||Trunk|
|985||Choa Chu Kang ↔ Lorong 1 Geylang||Trunk|
|NR3||South Bridge Road → Choa Chu Kang||Night|
|NR8||Marina Centre → Bukit Batok West Avenue 5||Night|
Bus Service 974 is operated by Tower Transit under a Negotiated Contract until the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package contract renewal.
Short Trip & Supplementary Bus Services
These services do not add to the overall service count.
|67W||Tampines → Bukit Timah Road (Little India Stn Exit A)||Short Trip|
|75A||Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park → Clementi Road (Opp SIM HQ)||Short Trip|
|180A||Boon Lay → Bukit Panjang Road (Blk 183)||Short Trip|
|190A||Choa Chu Kang → Orchard Road (Dhoby Ghaut Stn)||Short Trip|
|302A||Choa Chu Kang Drive (Yew Tee Stn) → Choa Chu Kang Drive (Opp Yew Tee Stn)||Short Trip|
|307A||Choa Chu Kang → Choa Chu Kang Ave 4 (Opp Choa Chu Kang Stn)||Short Trip|
|307T||Choa Chu Kang ↺ Choa Chu Kang Street 62 / Teck Whye Lane||Terminating Trip|
|972A||Bukit Panjang → Orchard Road (Dhoby Ghaut Stn)||Short Trip|
|972M||Bukit Panjang ↺ Orchard Road||Variant|
|973A||Bukit Panjang → Pending Road (Bef Pending Stn)||Short Trip|
|974A||Upper Bukit Timah Road → Choa Chu Kang Ave 4 (Lot 1/Choa Chu Kang Stn)||Short Trip|
|975A||Choa Chu Kang Avenue 4 (Opp Choa Chu Kang Stn) → Brickland Road (Aft Hai Inn See Tp)||Short Trip|
|975B||Choa Chu Kang Avenue 4 (Opp Choa Chu Kang Stn) → Lim Chu Kang Road (Opp Lim Chu Kang Lane 3)||Short Trip|
|983A||Choa Chu Kang → Choa Chu Kang Road (Blk 26)||Short Trip|
Bus Service 974A is operated by Tower Transit under a Negotiated Contract until the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package contract renewal.
Scope of Tender:
As part of the tender, the new Operator will be required to fulfill responsibilities as such:
- Operate the thirty-two (32) bus services in the areas in accordance with specified EWT performance standards
- Operate and maintain the buses and their onboard equipment provided by LTA
- Operate and maintain Choa Chu Kang and Bukit Panjang Bus Interchanges, and Gali batu Bus Depot, including all equipment and systems provided therein
- Charge and collect the fares approved by the Public Transport Council, on behalf of the Government
- Provide bus service information at all bus stops and bus interchanges served by the 34 bus services
- Provide customer management services, such as lost and found service, and a hotline for commuter feedback and enquiries.
All bus services will have scheduled headways of no more than 15 minutes for both directions during the morning and evening peak periods, with at least half of them having even shorter scheduled headways of no more than 10 minutes. Of these, the feeder services will run at even shorter intervals of 6-8 minutes. An estimated 45% of bus services will come at shorter intervals during peak periods when compared to the expanded BSEP.
More guidelines can be found in the main Bus Contracting Model (GCM) article.
Bus Interchanges & Terminals under the package:
- Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange
- Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange
- Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park
- Gali Batu Bus Terminal
Bus Depot under the package:
Route Package Timeline:
- 2016 (11 Aug): Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package mentioned as one of 11 Negotiated Contract (NC) Packages, and operated by SMRT Buses.
- 2018 (08 Apr): Bus Service 974 added to the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package, operated by Tower Transit under Negotiated Contract.
- 2018 (13 Aug): Renumbering of Express Services 188E & 868 to 188e and 868E respectively.
- 2018 (30 Sep): Bus Service 308 removed from the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package following the withdrawal of the bus service.
- 2019 (10 Nov): Bus Service BPS1 removed from the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package following the withdrawal of the bus service.
Bus Service 976 added to the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package following the introduction of the bus service.
- 2020 (08 Apr): Bus Services 868E, 971E, 982E, NR3 & NR8 temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (15 Apr): Bus Services 188e & 188R temporarily suspended due to Singapore COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Measures.
- 2020 (02 Jun): Resumption of Bus Services 188e, 868E, 971E & 982E. Bus Services 188R, NR3 & NR8 remain suspended.
- 2020 (30 Aug): Bus Services 700 & 700A removed from the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package following the withdrawal of the bus service.
- 2020 (30 Aug): Bus Service 972M added to the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package as a route variant of Service 972
- 2020 (31 Aug): Bus Service 971E converted to trunk service 971 with route amendment to serve Petir Road. Amended to start & end at Bukit Panjang Ring Road instead of Bukit Panjang Temp Bus Park during weekday morning & evening peak hours respectively.
External Links & References:
Back to Bus Contracting Model