Bus Contracting Model (BCM) Route Package #8:
“Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package” (33 bus routes)
First announced on 11 August 2016, the Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package is one of fourteen bus packages to be released by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) as part of the transition to the Bus Contracting Model (BCM). Currently, SMRT Buses operates 33 bus services in this package under a Negotiated Contract (NC) model until Year 2023, while Tower Transit operates 1 Bus Service.
This package comprises 33 existing bus services mainly originating from Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange and Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange, with a handful originating at Bt Batok West Ave 5, Choa Chu Kang Ave 5, South Bridge Rd, Bukit Batok and Marina Centre.
All bus operations would be based out of Kranji Bus Depot.
This bus package has been referred to as “Gali Batu Bus Package” by staff from SMRT Buses.
Bus Service 308 was removed from the Choa Chu Kang-Bukit Panjang Bus Package in Q4 2018 following the withdrawal of the bus service.
|Name||To Be Announced|
|Awarded||To Be Announced|
|Duration||Five years, with two-year extension granted based on good performance|
|Published||To Be Announced|
|Closing||To Be Announced|
|Services||61, 67, 75, 172, 176, 180, 184, 188, 188e, 188R, 190, 300, 301, 302, 307, 700, 868E, 920, 922, 927, 970, 971E, 972, 973, 974, 975, 979, 982E, 983, 985, BPS1, NR3, NR8|
|Bus Depot||Kranji Bus Depot|
|Anchor Interchanges / Terminals||Choa Chu Kang, Bukit Panjang|
Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package contains 33 existing bus services, 32 of which are currently operated by SMRT Buses and 1 by Tower Transit.
|Service||Destination 1||Destination 2||Type||Description|
|67||Choa Chu Kang||Tampines||Trunk|
|75||Bt Panjang Temp Bus Pk||Marina Centre||Trunk|
|172||Choa Chu Kang||Boon Lay||Trunk|
|176||Bt Panjang||Bt Merah||Trunk|
|180||Boon Lay||↺ Bt Panjang||Trunk|
|184||Bt Panjang Temp Bus Pk||↺ Commonwealth Ave West||Trunk|
|188||Choa Chu Kang||HarbourFront||Trunk|
|188e||Choa Chu Kang||→ HarbourFront||Express||Peak Hour limited-stop route|
|188R||Choa Chu Kang||Resorts World Sentosa||Express||Weekends & PHs|
|190||Choa Chu Kang||Kampong Bahru||Trunk|
|300||Choa Chu Kang||↺ Choa Chu Kang Ave 3||Feeder|
|301||Choa Chu Kang||↺ Keat Hong Cl||Feeder|
|302||Choa Chu Kang||↺ Choa Chu Kang Cres||Feeder|
|307||Choa Chu Kang||↺ Choa Chu Kang St 62 & Teck Whye Lane||Feeder|
|700||Bt Panjang Temp Bus Pk||Shenton Way||Trunk||Staggered operating hours|
|700A||↺ Temasek Ave||Staggered operating hours|
|868E||Bt Batok West Ave 5||Temasek Ave||Express||Peak Hour express route|
|920||Bt Panjang||↺ Bangkit Rd||Feeder|
|922||Bt Panjang||↺ Bangkit Rd||Feeder|
|927||Choa Chu Kang||↺ Mandai Lake Rd||Trunk|
|970||Bt Panjang||Shenton Way||Trunk|
|971E||Bt Panjang Ring Rd||Cecil Street / Anson Rd||Express||Peak Hour express route|
|972||Bt Panjang||↺ Orchard Rd||Trunk|
|973||Bt Panjang||↺ Hume Ave||Trunk|
|974||Bt Panjang MRT||Joo Koon||Trunk||Operated by Tower Transit under Negotiated Contract|
|975||Bt Panjang||↺ Lim Chu Kang Rd||Trunk|
|979||Bt Panjang||↺ Choa Chu Kang Cres||Trunk|
|982E||Choa Chu Kang Ave 5||Marina Blvd / Central Blvd||Express||Peak Hour express route|
|983||Choa Chu Kang||↺ Jelebu Road||Trunk|
|985||Choa Chu Kang||Lor 1 Geylang||Trunk|
|BPS1||Choa Chu Kang||Segar Road||Trunk||Peak Hour route|
|NR3||South Bridge Rd||→ Choa Chu Kang||Night||Night Service|
|NR8||Marina Centre||→ Bukit Batok West Ave 5||Night||Night Service|
Services 700 and 700A are considered as one service. Short-Trip services are also not included in the above list.
Scope of Tender:
As part of the tender, the new Operator will be required to fulfill responsibilities as such:
- Operate the thirty-three (33) bus services in the areas in accordance with specified EWT performance standards
- Operate and maintain the buses and their onboard equipment provided by LTA
- Operate and maintain Choa Chu Kang and Bukit Panjang Bus Interchanges, and Gali batu Bus Depot, including all equipment and systems provided therein
- Charge and collect the fares approved by the Public Transport Council, on behalf of the Government
- Provide bus service information at all bus stops and bus interchanges served by the 34 bus services
- Provide customer management services, such as lost and found service, and a hotline for commuter feedback and enquiries.
All bus services will have scheduled headways of no more than 15 minutes for both directions during the morning and evening peak periods, with at least half of them having even shorter scheduled headways of no more than 10 minutes. Of these, the feeder services will run at even shorter intervals of 6-8 minutes. An estimated 45% of bus services will come at shorter intervals during peak periods when compared to the expanded BSEP.
More guidelines can be found in the main Bus Contracting Model (GCM) article.
Bus Interchanges & Terminals under the package:
- Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange
- Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange
- Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park
- Gali Batu Bus Terminal
Bus Depot under the package:
Route Package Timeline:
- 2016 (11 Aug): Choa Chu Kang–Bukit Panjang Bus Package mentioned as one of 11 Negotiated Contract (NC) Packages, and operated by SMRT Buses.
- 2018 (08 Apr): Bus Service 974 added to the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package, operated by Tower Transit under Negotiated Contract.
- 2018 (13 Aug): Renumbering of Express Services 188E & 868 to 188e and 868E respectively.
- 2018 (30 Sep): Bus Service 308 removed from the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package following the withdrawal of the bus service.
External Links & References:
Back to Bus Contracting Model