SMRT Bus Service 176 is a trunk route linking Bukit Panjang Interchange and Bukit Merah Interchange, passing through Upper Bukit Timah, Hillview, Bukit Batok, Jurong East Central, West Coast Highway and Henderson.
||Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Upp Bukit Timah, Hillview, Bukit Batok, Jurong East Ctrl, West Coast Highway, Henderson|
|Route Length||22.3 km (D1) | 22.9 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||80 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Kranji Bus Depot (KJDEP)
Majority of buses park at: Ulu Pandan Bus Depot (UPDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– MAN A95
– Volvo B9TL
18-metre Articulated Bus:
– MAN A24
12-metre Single Deck Bus
– MAN A22
|Departure Times from Bukit Panjang
||0530hrs – 2335hrs (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0545hrs – 2335hrs (Sundays/PHs)
|Departure Times from Bukit Merah
||0545hrs – 2330hrs (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630 – 0830: 06 – 09 mins
0831 – 1659: 06 – 11 mins
1700 – 1900: 10 – 11 mins
After 1900: 09 – 15 mins
|0630 – 0830: 08 – 09 mins
0831 – 1659: 07 – 12 mins
1700 – 1900: 07 – 08 mins
After 1900: 08 – 13 mins
Service 176 is an inter-town route connecting the housing estates of Bukit Panjang, Hillview, Bukit Batok, Jurong East and Bukit Merah. Part of its route travels along West Coast Highway for quick journeys between Pasir Panjang and Jurong East. Its sector between Telok Blangah MRT and Bukit Merah benefits residents at Telok Blangh and Bukit Merah Central with convenient access to Telok Blangah MRT Station along the CIrcle Line. Along with Service 175, this service serves the industries along West Coast Highway and Pasir Panjang Road.
Running with moderate to low demand during off-peak hours, the service encounters high demand during peak hours from increased commute to and from industries around West Coast and Pasir Panjang, as well as increased inter-town commute. High capacity double-deck buses buses are deployed on a regular basis; SMRT’s Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses appeared on the route since Nov 2014.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since 1988, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1995 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated buses are deployed regularly.
- Jurong Town Hall Rd (Aft Pandan Gdns) → Bt Panjang Int
Daily: 0550hrs & 1 more trip before 0616hrs
MRT Stations Served:
- DT1BP6 Bukit Panjang
- DT2 Cashew
- DT3 Hillview
- NS2 Bukit Batok
- EW24NS1 Jurong East
- CC25 Haw Par Villa
- CC26 Pasir Panjang
- CC27 Labrador Park
- CC28 Telok Blangah
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
Fleet: See above.
- 1988 – 1995: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1995 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Choa Chu Kang – Bukit Panjang Bus Package.
- 1988 (24 Jan): Introduced by SBS between Jurong East Int and Bukit Panjang (Loop)
- 1989 (05 Mar): Amended to serve Upper Bt Timah Rd and Bt Batok West Ave 6.
- 1990 (01 Jul): Extended from Jurong East to Bt Merah, covering lost sectors of withdrawn Service 184
- 1995 (01 Oct): Handed to TIBS. Amended to ply Bt Batok East Ave 2 instead of Bt Batok East Ave 4 on same day.
- 1999 (26 Dec): Amended to Bt Panjang Int
- 2012 (16 Dec): Route amended to make way for the new Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub
- 2014 (03 Feb): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2014 (17 Nov): Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses deployed
- 2015 (22 Mar): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (05 Jun): BSRF trial extended to Aug 2016
- 2015 (27 Dec): Calls at Hillview Station along Upp Bt Timah Rd
- 2017 (04 Sep): Amended to Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub
- Refer to this article
- 1995: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1995.