SBS Transit Bus Service 170 is a cross-border service plying between Queen Street Terminal and Larkin Terminal in Johor Bahru, passing through Rochor, Bukit Timah, Upper Bukit Timah, Woodlands Road, Woodlands CIQ, Sultan Iskandar CIQ, and Jalan Tun Abdul Razak. Sometimes referred to as 170 (Red Plate) to distinguish it from its route variant Service 170X, this is the only bidirectional route to have its bus terminals at either end serving only one local franchised bus route.
A route variant Service 170A is also operated, duplicating the local sectors of this route.
||Queen Street Bus Terminal ↔ Larkin Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Rochor, Bukit Timah, Upp Bukit Timah, Woodlands Rd, Woodlands CIQ, Sultan Iskandar CIQ|
|Route Length||34.3km (D1) | 33.8km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||100 mins (Offpeak)
120 mins (Peak)
Timings subject to traffic conditions, especially affected at Checkpoints
|BCM Route Package||Bukit Merah Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd
|Current Depot||Ulu Pandan Bus Depot (UPDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Scania K230UB
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro (from 170A)
|Departure Times from Queen Street
||0520 – 0010 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Larkin
||0520 – 0030 (Weekdays)
0530 – 0030 (Saturdays, Sunday/PHs)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 12 – 17 mins
0831-1659: 12 – 19 mins
1700-1900: 14 – 20 mins
After 1900: 12 – 14 mins
|0630-0830: 15 – 16 mins
0831-1659: 13 – 20 mins
1700-1900: 16 – 20 mins
After 1900: 13 – 16 mins
Service 170 is a cross-border route connecting Rochor, Bukit Timah, Kranji and Woodlands Centre to Larkin Terminal in Johor Bahru. The route has remained largely unchanged since the 1920s, connecting the Singapore City Centre with the Bukit Timah regions and on to Johor Bahru. A parallel bus service 170A plies between Queen St and Woodlands Centre Rd, enhancing Service 170’s local sectors.
Due to varying traffic conditions at the Causeway, travel times and waiting times may increase significantly when jams occur. This bus service occasionally diverts via Woodlands Ave 3 / Woodlands Centre Road towards Johor Bahru when Woodlands Road is severely congested.
This route also plies Woodlands Centre Road in both directions. Passengers boarding Service 170 from 46069 W’lands Train Checkpt or 46088 Opp Blk 1A should check the destination clearly before boarding.
Low-entry Scania K230UBs were added to the fleet in March 2014. These are SBS Transit’s first wheelchair-accessible buses to enter cross-border service.
At each checkpoint, passengers have to alight and clear customs before boarding the bus again. When crossing the causeway between Woodlands Checkpoint and Johore Bahru Checkpoint in either direction, commuters may board any SBS Transit bus (either 160, 170 or 170X). However, when leaving from a checkpoint, commuters must re-board Service 170 after clearing customs if they wish to continue their journey and not constitute a transfer.
Tapping out from the bus at a checkpoint will suspend a journey and allow the resumption of a journey afterwards. Cash paying passengers should retain their ticket as proof or payment, and produce it when re-boarding buses at checkpoints.
MRT/LRT Stations served:
- NS7 Kranji
- BP14 Ten Mile Junction
- DT1BP6 Bukit Panjang
- DT2 Cashew
- DT3 Hillview
- DT5 Beauty World
- DT6 King Albert Park
- DT7 Sixth Avenue
- DT8 Tan Kah Kee
- CC19DT9 Botanic Gardens
- DT10 Stevens
- NS21DT11 Newton
- NE7DT12 Little India
- DT13 Rochor
- EW12DT14 Bugis
- Service 170A: Queen Street Terminal → Woodlands Centre Road (Woodlands Train Checkpoint)
Operates as a Short Trip Service | 0600hrs – 0000hrs Daily
- Service 170X: Kranji MRT Station ↺ JB Sentral Ter (Loop)
- Woodlands Road (Opp Kranji Stn) → Larkin Ter
Weekdays (Mon – Thu): 0530hrs, 0545hrs, 0600hrs
Weekdays (Fri): 0530hrs, 0545hrs, 0556hrs
Saturdays: 0530hrs, 0539hrs, 0548hrs, 0557hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0530hrs, 0540hrs, 0550hrs
- Johor Bahru (Johor Bahru Checkpoint) → Queen St Ter
Weekdays (Mon – Thu): 0515hrs, 0527hrs
Weekdays (Fri): 0501hrs, 0516hrs, 0531hrs
Saturdays: 0500hrs, 0515hrs, 0530hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0523hrs, 0535hrs
- Woodlands Centre Road (Opp Blk 1A) → Queen St Ter
All day, operated by return trips of Service 170A
Fleet: Service 170′s fleet comprises a full fleet of JB-registered Scania K230UBs. Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses are crossovers from Service 170A and perform the return trip from Woodlands Centre Road to Queen Street Terminal as Service 170, and do not cross the border.
Buses deployed on cross-border routes must be registered with the Suruhanjaya Pengangkutan Awam Darat (SPAD), also known as the Land Public Transport Commission (Malaysia).
Currently, only some Scania K230UBs are SPAD-registered. In accordance with Malaysian regulations, buses must carry relevant documents, be fitted with a third brake light at the rear, and attached with Malaysian stickers dictating the legal speed limit.
Mercedes-Benz Citaros are commonly deployed on Service 170A and subsequently perform special departures back down to Queen Street Terminal from Woodlands Centre Rd. These buses do not require registration with the Malaysian authorities as they do not cross the border into Malaysia.
Maps & Posters:
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2018 under the Bukit Merah Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as Service 170 between Queen Street and Johor Bahru, operated United Bus Company, replacing former Green Bus Company routes between Singapore and Johor.
- 1985 (13 Oct): Amended to relocated Queen St Ter along Ban San St.
- 1996 (01 Jan): Amended to Larkin Bus Terminal
- 2000 (03 Sep): Split into blue plate (Kranji Station – Kota Raya II Terminal) and red plate (Queen Street Terminal – Larkin Terminal), with both variants operating on a daily basis.
- 2003 (10 Nov): Service 170 amended Jln Lingkaran Dalam (express) towards Larkin Ter, skips bus stops at Komtar Shopping Ctr & KTM Railway Stn.
- 2011 (Aug): Retiring Volvo B10M Mark IIIs replaced with Volvo B10M Mark IVs (DM3500 and Strider)
- 2014 (30 Mar): Full fleet of Scania K230UBs to replace Volvo B10M MkIVs
- 2014 (Oct): Reappearance of Shortworking Trip 170A, operating from Queen Street Ter to Woodlands Centre Rd (Opp Block 1) at selected times of day (common on Sundays and Public Holidays). No mention of this shortworking trip on any Public Transport Operator website.
- 2014 (01 Nov): Service 170X Amended to loop at Jalan Tun Abdul Razak due to the permanent closure of Kotaraya II Terminal
- 2015 (01 Mar): Reopening and relocation of a pair of bus stops along Upp Bt Timah Rd; Aft Cashew Rd & Bef Cashew Rd respectively. Service 170X Amended to loop at JB Sentral Terminal, skipping the bus stop along Jln Tun Abdul Razak
- 2015 (27 Dec): Official introduction of Shortworking Trip 170A with enhanced operating hours and terminating at Woodlands Train Checkpoint
- 2016 (11 Dec): Serves new Bus Stop 43991, Opp Blk 635A, along Woodlands Road
- 2017 (28 May): Calls at relocated bus stop 47071 Bef Mandai Rd and no longer calls at bus stop 45081 Opp Mandai Rd along Woodlands Rd.
- 2017 (21 Aug): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2018 (10 Jun): Calls at a new bus stop along Woodlands Road (44999 Bef Yew Tee Flyover)
- Refer to this article
- 170: Amended to present routing in 1996; No significant route changes since 1996.
- 170X: Amended to present routing in 2014; No significant route changes since 2014.
External Links & References: