SBS Transit Bus Service 170 is a cross-border service plying between Queen Street Terminal and Larkin Terminal in Johor Bahru, passing through Rochor, Bukit Timah, Upper Bukit Timah, Woodlands Road, Woodlands CIQ, Sultan Iskandar CIQ, and Jalan Tun Abdul Razak. Sometimes referred to as 170 (Red Plate) to distinguish it from its route variant Service 170X, this is the only bidirectional route to have its bus terminals at either end serving only one local franchised bus route.
A route variant Service 170A is also operated, duplicating the local sectors of this route.
Due to the Malaysia Movement Control Order, Service 170 will turnaround at Bus Stop 46069 – W’lands Train Checkpt, Woodlands Ctr Rd before heading back towards Queen Street. It will not serve Johor Bahru until the order is lifted.
📶 This Bus Service is Wi-Fi enabled, connect to #FreeWiFi@SBST.
- Commuters along Woodlands Centre Road should check the bus destination and service number plate displayed on the front of the bus as buses from both directions will call at the same stops.
RED plated Service 170 buses are bound for Johor Bahru / Larkin Terminal, while
WHITE plated Service 170 buses are bound for Queen Street.
|Route||Queen Street Bus Terminal ↔ Larkin Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Bt Timah Rd, Upp Bt Timah Rd / Dunearn Rd, Woodlands Rd, Woodlands Crossing|
|Route Length||Towards Larkin: 34.2 km||Towards Queen St: 34.2 km|
|Traveling Time||100 mins (Offpeak)
120 mins (Peak)
Timings subject to traffic conditions, especially affected at Checkpoints
|BCM Route Package||Bukit Merah Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ulu Pandan Bus Depot (UPDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz Citaro (From 170A)
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Queen Street
|05:20 – 00:10|
|Departure Times from Larkin
||Weekdays||Saturdays & Sundays / Public Holidays
|05:20 – 00:30||05:30 – 00:30|
|From Queen Street
|Mondays – Thursdays||12 – 18 mins||13 – 20 mins||18 – 19 mins||14 – 16 mins|
|Fridays||13 – 18 mins||15 – 20 mins||17 – 19 mins||16 – 18 mins|
|Saturdays||11 – 16 mins||12 – 18 mins||17 – 18 mins||12 – 17 mins|
|Sundays / Public Holidays||14 – 16 mins||12 – 19 mins||14 – 15 mins||12 – 16 mins|
|Mondays – Thursdays||15 – 17 mins||14 – 20 mins||17 – 20 mins||13 – 18 mins|
|Fridays||15 – 20 mins||16 – 20 mins||19 – 20 mins||15 – 19 mins|
|Saturdays||11 – 17 mins||14 – 19 mins||17 – 18 mins||12 – 18 mins|
|Sundays / Public Holidays||12 – 18 mins||13 – 18 mins||15 – 16 mins||12 – 15 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Service 170 is a cross-border route connecting Rochor, Bukit Timah, Kranji and Woodlands Centre to Larkin Terminal in Johor Bahru. The route has remained largely unchanged since the 1920s, connecting the Singapore City Centre with the Bukit Timah regions and on to Johor Bahru. A parallel bus service 170A plies between Queen St and Woodlands Centre Rd, enhancing Service 170’s local sectors.
This route also plies Woodlands Centre Road in both directions. Passengers boarding Service 170 from 46069 W’lands Train Checkpt or 46088 Blk 25 should check the destination clearly before boarding.
Low-entry Scania K230UBs were added to the fleet in March 2014. These are SBS Transit’s first wheelchair-accessible buses to enter cross-border service.
Bus Services 170, 170A & 170X towards Larkin, Woodlands Train Checkpoint & JB Sentral respectively regularly experiences a temporary route diversion along Woodlands Road, skipping Bus Stops 46021 – Bef W’Lands Ind Pk D St 2, 46031 – Kranji Lodge 1, 46041 – Opp Globalfoundries, and 46051 – Bef BKE due to traffic congestion. Refer to SBS Transit’s Twitter account for updates.
Buses deployed on cross-border routes must be registered with the Suruhanjaya Pengangkutan Awam Darat (SPAD), also known as the Land Public Transport Commission (Malaysia).
Currently, only some Scania K230UBs are SPAD-registered. In accordance with Malaysian regulations, buses must carry relevant documents, be fitted with a third brake light at the rear, and attached with Malaysian stickers dictating the legal speed limit.
Mercedes-Benz Citaros are commonly deployed on Service 170A and subsequently perform special departures back down to Queen Street Terminal from Woodlands Centre Rd. These buses do not require registration with the Malaysian authorities as they do not cross the border into Malaysia.
At each checkpoint, passengers have to alight and clear customs before boarding the bus again. When crossing the causeway between Woodlands Checkpoint and Johore Bahru Checkpoint in either direction, commuters may board any SBS Transit bus (either 160, 170 or 170X). However, when leaving from a checkpoint, commuters must re-board Service 170 after clearing customs if they wish to continue their journey and not constitute a transfer.
Tapping out from the bus at a checkpoint will suspend a journey and allow the resumption of a journey afterwards. Cash paying passengers should retain their ticket as proof or payment, and produce it when re-boarding buses at checkpoints.
Approximate Operating Hours at Woodlands Checkpoint
|46101 – Woodlands Checkpoint (Towards Larkin)|
|Weekdays||Saturdays||Sundays / Public Holidays|
|46109 – Woodlands Checkpoint (Towards Queen Street)|
|Weekdays||Saturdays||Sundays / Public Holidays|
MRT/LRT Stations Served:
- EW12DT14 Bugis
- DT13 Rochor
- NE7DT12 Little India
- NS21–DT11 Newton
- DT10 Stevens
- CC19DT9 Botanic Gardens
- DT8 Tan Kah Kee
- DT7 Sixth Avenue
- DT6 King Albert Park
- DT5 Beauty World
- DT3 Hillview
- DT2 Cashew
- DT1–BP6 Bukit Panjang
- NS7 Kranji
- Woodlands Road (Opp Kranji Stn) → Larkin Ter
Weekdays (Mon – Thu): 05:30, 05:45 & 06:00
Weekdays (Fri): 05:30, 05:45 & 05:56
Saturdays: 05:30hrs, 05:39, 05:48 & 05:57
Sundays / Public Holidays: 05:30, 05:40 & 05:50
- Johor Bahru (Johor Bahru Checkpoint) → Queen St Ter
Weekdays (Mon – Thu): 05:15 & 05:27
Weekdays (Fri): 05:01, 05:16 & 05:31
Saturdays: 05:00, 05:15 & 05:30
Sundays / Public Holidays: 05:23 & 05:35
- Woodlands Crossing (Woodlands Checkpt) → Queen St Ter
Weekdays (Mon – Fri): 05:35
- Woodlands Centre Road (Woodlands Train Checkpt) → Queen St Ter
Weekdays (Mon – Thu): 05:59, 06:14, 06:29 & 06:44
Weekdays (Fri) & Saturdays: 05:59, 06:13, 06:27 & 06:41
Sundays / Public Holidays: 06:04, 06:14 & 06:24
- Woodlands Centre Road (Blk 25) → Queen St Ter
Daily, operated by return trips of Service 170A
Short Trip Service
- Service 170A: Queen Street Ter → Woodlands Centre Road (Woodlands Train Checkpoint)
- Service 170X: Kranji MRT Station ↺ JB Sentral Ter (Loop)
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2023 under the Bukit Merah Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced between Queen St Ter and Johore Bahru Ter as a cross border service under 1971 Bus Reorganisation
- 1979 (28 Oct): Amended to ply Sungei Rd and Ophir Rd (towards Queen St Ter) and amended to ply Rochor Canal Rd and Bt Timah Rd, skipping Bencoolen St, Middle Rd, Selegie Rd and Mackenzie Rd (towards Johore Bahru Ter) with the conversion of Rochor Canal Rd and Rochor Rd to one-way traffic
- 1979 (30 Dec): Amended to ply Jln Anak Bt towards Queen St Ter with the partial conversion of Upp Bt Timah Rd to one-way traffic
- 1985 (13 Oct): Amended to relocated Queen St Ter along Ban San St
- 1996 (01 Jan): Amended to Larkin Ter
- 1997 (05 May): Serves new pair of bus stops outside KK Women & Child Hosp along Bt Timah Rd
- 2000: Serves new bus stop before Goldhill Ave along Dunearn Rd
- 2003 (10 Nov): Amended to ply Jln Lingkaran Dalam towards Larkin Ter, skipping Jln Tun Abdul Razak
- 2010 (23 May): Skips temporarily abolished bus stop outside Assumption Voc Inst along Upp Bt Timah Rd to facilitate the construction of Cashew MRT station along the Downtown MRT Line
- 2011 (Aug): Retiring Volvo B10M Mark IIIs replaced with Volvo B10M Mark IVs (DM3500 and Strider)
- 2011 (04 Sep): Serves new bus stop outside Botanic Gdns Stn along Bt Timah Rd
- 2014 (30 Mar): Full fleet of Scania K230UBs to replace Volvo B10M MkIVs
- 2015 (01 Mar): Serves reinstated bus stop outside Assumption Pathway Sch along Upp Bt Timah Rd
- 2016 (11 Dec): Serves new bus stop opposite Blk 635A along Woodlands Road
- 2017 (28 May): Skips abolished bus stop opposite Mandai Rd along Woodlands Rd
- 2017 (21 Aug): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2018 (10 Jun): Serves new bus stop before Yew Tee Flyover along Woodlands Road
- 2018 (28 Oct): Calls at temporary co-sharing bus stop 40031 Newton FC along Bukit Timah Rd
- 2018 (18 Nov): Start of operations under Bukit Merah Bus Package (Tendered Contract)
- 2019 (24 Feb): Calls at reinstated bus stop 40021 – Bef Winstedt Rd along Bukit Timah Rd
- 2021 (11 Apr): Amended to ply the extended southbound Upp Bt Timah Rd towards Queen St Ter, skipping Jln Anak Bt