A BYD electric double-deck bus was recently sighted in Singapore, featuring the Land Transport Authority (LTA)’s lush green livery and SG Bus Decals.
The bus is built by Gemilang Coachworks on a BYD D9RC chassis (based on delivery documents), equipped with two wheelchair bays and other unique features for a pandemic era. The final model name will only be made known at a later date, after its registration. It is the second electric double-deck bus model in Singapore after the Yutong E12DD.
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) procured 60 electric buses in 2018. With no new electric bus orders since, it is likely that the BYD Double-Deck Electric Bus is offered to the LTA as a trial, similar to that of the MAN Lion’s City SD (3 Door) in 2017, and the Mercedes-Benz Citaro hybrid in 2020.
Based on the VIN number (LC06S44P5J1000001), the chassis was built in 2018 by BYD in Shenzhen, China. It is propelled by two BYD3425TZA motors.
The bus’ traction batteries are located at the rear of the lower deck. Like the Yutong E12DD, the passenger compartment on the lower deck ends just above the rear axle.
More batteries are located in the underfloor next to the exit door, on both sides of the bus. This is similar to the BYD K9 (Gemilang) and results in the raised floor and narrow passenger aisle near the exit door.
Delivery documents on the bus refer to the model as the BYD D9RC, which is likely the name of the chassis and not the actual bus. Similarly, the BYD C6 (Gemilang) buses were built on BYD D6R chassis, and BYD K9 (Gemilang) buses were delivered as BYD D9A chassis. The final model name will only be made known at a later date, after its registration.
The bus features:
- BYD Lithium Iron Phosphate battery
- 2x AC Synchronous wheel hub motors (BYD3425TZA)
- Luminator ULTIMA Electronic Display System (EDS)
- Luminator SMART Passenger Information Display System (PIDS)
- Masats doors
- TNT Surveillance side alert cameras
- Ster NewCity seats
- (TBC) Valeo DD540 air-conditioning
- Two wheelchair bays, with foldable seat integrated into backrest
- Licensed passenger capacity of 122 passengers
(51 upper deck seating + 21 lower deck seating + 50 standing)
- USB charging ports
Pandemic Public Transport Features
The bus also has several features installed for public transport in a pandemic era. These include:
- Driver cabin protective shield
- Temperature detectors at the entrance doors
- Touch-less bus stopping bell push
- Ventilation windows on lower and upper decks
Other BYD 3-axle double-deck buses
BYD has produced 3-axle double-deck buses since as early as 2012, when images of a gold-coloured, right-hand-drive BYD K10 was circulated on Chinese social media, strongly hinting at a potential trial with Kowloon Motor Bus of Hong Kong. The purported trial did not materialize.
In June 2020, the BYD B12D three-axle double-deck bus (full model name: BYD6120BD1EV1) was first mentioned in《道路机动车辆生产企业及产品公告》（第334批）, the 334th issue of a regular publication by China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology listing new models of domestic road vehicles. A bus operator in Shenzhen took delivery of 10 units in October 2020, configured as sightseeing buses.
BYD also offers the 45-foot (13.7-metre) BYD C10MS for the North American market, unveiled in January 2020 at the United Motorcoach Association’s annual expo in Nashville, Tennessee.
Other Trial Buses:
- BYD K9 Trial with Go-Ahead Singapore (SG4001J)
- MAN Lion’s City SD – 3-door Concept Bus (SG4002G)
- Volvo B8L (SG4003D)
- Mercedes-Benz Citaro hybrid (SG4004B)
External Links & References
- A brand new electric-bus for Singapore – /r Singapore Reddit [Accessed 25 Apr 2021]
- BYD Introduces The Largest Electric Motorcoach In North America (insideevs.com) [Accessed 25 Apr 2021]
- 打造“深度慢游”观光线 全新比亚迪纯电动双层观光巴士首投深圳 (byd.com) [Accessed 25 Apr 2021]
- 又见爆款！比亚迪首款三轴纯电动双层大巴惊艳来袭 – 客车信息网 | 微信公众号文章阅读 – WeMP [Accessed 25 Apr 2021]