SBS Transit Bus Service 147 is a trunk service plying between Hougang Central Int and Clementi Int, passing through Hougang Avenue 8, Yio Chu Kang Road, Serangoon MRT, Little India, Bras Basah, Chinatown, Bukit Merah and Commonwealth Avenue West.
Looking for Service 147e instead? Check out the article here.
New Limited Stop Express Service 147e will be introduced on 28 January 2018.
|Bus Service 147: Hougang Central ↔ Clementi|
From Hougang Central
||Hougang Central Bus Interchange ↔ Clementi Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Hougang Ave 8, Yio Chu Kang Rd, Serangoon MRT, Potong Pasir, Little India, Bras Basah, Clarke Quay, Outram Park, Bukit Merah, Queensway, C’wealth Ave West|
|Route Length||27.9km (D1) | 27.3km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||115 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Clementi Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd
|Current Depot||Bukit Batok Bus Depot (BBDEP)
Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Dennis Trident
– Volvo B9TL
|Departure Times from Hougang Ctrl
||0530hrs – 2330hrs (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Clementi
||0545hrs – 2345hrs (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 06 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 18 mins
1700-1900: 09 – 13 mins
After 1900: 07 – 13 mins
|0630-0830: 07 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 14 mins
1700-1900: 07 – 10 mins
After 1900: 09 – 11 mins
Service 147 is an trunk route serving many residential areas along its route such as Clementi, Commonwealth, Bukit Merah, Serangoon and Hougang. Running from West to Northeast of Singapore, the route cuts through the City, also serving Chinatown, Bras Basah and Little India. It also duplicates the North East Line from Outram Park to Serangoon and Hougang.
This service was slated to be amended during the North-East Line Bus Rationalization of 2003 which intended to delete unnecessary sectors of various bus routes to avoid duplication with the new North-East MRT Line (NEL). However, it was later spared from rationalization along with Service 133. Currently, long segments of route which duplicate the NEL still receives generous passenger numbers.
MRT Stations Served
- NE14 Hougang
- NE12CC13 Serangoon
- NE11 Woodleigh
- NE10 Potong Pasir
- NE9 Boon Keng
- NE8 Farrer Park
- DT22 Jalan Besar
- DT21 Bencoolen
- CC2 Bras Basah
- NE5 Clarke Quay
- NE4DT19 Chinatown
- EW16NE3 Outram Park
- EW20 Commonwealth
- EW21CC22 Buona Vista
- EW22 Dover
- EW23 Clementi
- Jalan Bukit Merah (Opp Blk 120) → Clementi Int
Weekdays: 0615hrs, 0627hrs, 0542hrs, 0639hrs
- Jalan Bukit Merah (Opp OG Fty) → Hougang Central Int
Weekdays: 0550hrs, 0559hrs
- Serangoon Road (Kwong Wai Shiu Hosp) → Hougang Central Int
Weekdays: 0550hrs, 0601hrs, 0612hrs
Saturdays: 0550hrs, 0600hrs, 0610hrs, 0620hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0605hrs, 0620hrs, 0635hrs
Short Trip Services
- Service 147A: Hougang Ctrl Int → New Bridge Rd (opp Pearl’s Ctr)
Weekdays AM Peak only
Service 147A helps to relieve morning peak demand between Hougang and Serangoon to Little India and Chinatown.
- Limited Stop Express Service 147e: Clementi Int ↔ Clarke Quay
Daily, skips Jln Bt Merah
- 1971 – 1973: Associated Bus Services Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2025 under the Clementi Bus Package.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced between Lor 6 Toa Payoh and Commonwealth Ave/North Buona Vista Rd, operated by Associated Bus Services. On 02 Aug, amended to Toa Payoh Town Centre.
- 1981: Amended to Buona Vista Ter
- 1983 (26 Dec): Amended to loop at Potong Pasir Ave 1
- 1984 (01 Jul): Amended to Potong Pasir Ter
- 1985 (05 May): Amended to Potong Pasir Ave 2 & 3 before terminating at Potong Pasir Ter
- 1985 (30 Jun): Extended to Jurong East Int
- 1992 (29 Mar): Merged with service 83 and extended to Upp Serangoon Ter. At the same time, amended to Serangoon Rd / Jln Besar instead of Bugis and Lavender
- 1992 (29 Nov): Alternate trips terminated at Clementi MRT Station
- 1993 (05 Dec): Shortened to Clementi interchange with the extension of service 105. Alternate trips withdrawn.
- 1994 (17 Dec): Amended to Hougang Central Int
- 1999: Amended to ply Prinsep Street
- 2006 (29 Oct): Amended to Clementi Temp Int
- 2006 (30 Oct): Designated as a wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB), the second WAB service in Singapore.
- 2011 (16 Oct): With the closure of a section along Bencoolen St for the construction of the Downtown Line, this service was amended to serve Middle Rd & Bencoolen St
- 2011 (26 Nov): Amended to air-conditioned Clementi Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2016 (11 Dec): Resume plying Bencoolen Street with the completion of Downtown Line works
- 2017 (26 Nov): Calls at B/S 10018 Aft Hosp Dr, Eu Tong Sen St instead of B/S 10039 Bef Hosp Dr, Kg Bahru Rd due to B/S Removal
- 2018 (28 Jan): Route variant Limited Stop Express Service 147e introduced
- Refer to this article
- 1994: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1994.