SBS Transit Bus Service 196 is a trunk route running between Bedok Int and Clementi Int, passing through Marine Parade/Cres, Mountbatten, Shenton Way, Bukit Merah, Commonwealth, Dover Road and AYE. It shares the Bedok-Clementi route termini with Services 7 and 14.
|Route||Bedok Bus Interchange ↔ Clementi Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Marine Parade/Cres, Mountbatten, Shenton Way, Bukit Merah, Commonwealth, Dover Road, AYE|
|Route Length||31.0km (D1) | 31.6km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)
Bukit Batok Bus Depot (BBDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2315 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0545 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 05 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 11 mins
After 1930: 10 – 15 mins
|0630-0830: 10 – 14 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 15 mins
1700-1930: 06 – 14 mins
After 1930: 11 – 14 mins
Service 196 is a inter-town route connecting residents of Clementi, Dover, Bukit Merah, Mountbatten and Marine Parade to the City areas of Outram Park, Shenton Way and Nicoll Highway. The route experiences high demand throughout the day owing to inter-town connections, and is highest during the peak hours as a heavily-used route between Shenton Way and Marine Parade.
During peak hours, the fast-forward variant 196e operates between Shenton Way and Marine Parade, skipping stops along Mountbatten Road, while running identical to Service 196.
- Shenton Way (Opp MAS Bldg) → Clementi Int
Weekdays (Normal): 0530hrs, 0540hrs, 0550hrs, 0600hrs
Weekdays (Sch Hols): 0530hrs, 0542hrs, 0554hrs, 0606hrs
Saturdays: 0530hrs, 0544hrs, 0558hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0540hrs, 0556hrs
- Anson Road (Hub Synergy Pt) → Bedok Int
Weekdays evening peak hours
- Service 196A: Bedok Int → Shenton Way (Opp MAS Bldg)
Weekdays AM Peak only
A majority of SWT 196A trips depart from Marine Parade Rd (Lagoon View). A small minority depart from Bedok Int or Marine Parade Rd (Bet Blks 72/74).
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 196’s fleet comprises a majority of Volvo B9TLs, as well as smaller numbers of Volvo Olympians, Volvo B10M MkIVs and Mercedes-Benz Citaros. Additional Volvo B9TLs were added under the BSEP scheme.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1970s – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced between Gagak Selari Barat (now Jln Bukit Merah) and Shipyard Rd, operated by United Bus Company
- 1974 (03 Feb): Extended to Prince Edward Rd
- 1978 (01 Jun): Amended from Shipyard Rd to Jurong Int
- 1984 (16 Sep): Merged with Service 15 and extended to Marine Parade
- 1990 (01 Jul): Amended to Boon Lay Interchange with the closure of Jurong Interchange.
- 1992 (28 Jun): Shortened to start from Buona Vista.
- 1992 (15 Nov): Amended to start from Clementi (via Clementi Ave 6, AYE).
- 2001 (16 Sep): Extended to Bedok with the closure of Marine Parade Terminal
- 2006 (29 Oct): Amended to Clementi Temp Int
- 2011 (26 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2011 (19 Nov): Amended to Bedok Temp Int
- 2011 (26 Nov): Amended to Clementi air-conditioned Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2014 (10 Aug): Calls at new bus stop along Mountbatten Rd (opp Blk 2)
- 2014 (30 Nov): Amended to Bedok air-conditioned Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- Refer to this article
- 2001: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2001.
External Links & References: