SMRT Bus Service 851 is a trunk route between Yishun Temp Interchange and Bukit Merah Interchange, passing through Lentor, Ang Mo Kio, Thomson, Rochor Canal, City Hall, Chinatown and Tiong Bahru.
|Route||Yishun Temporary Bus Interchange ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Lentor, Ang Mo Kio, Thomson, Rochor Canal, City Hall, Chinatown, Tiong Bahru.|
|Route Length||24.0km (D1) | 23.2km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||18-metre Articulated Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O405G
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz OC500LE
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– MAN NL323F
12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– MAN A95
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2340 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0540 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 06 – 08 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 13 mins
After 1930: 11 – 14 mins
|0630-0830: 10 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 10 mins
After 1930: 12 – 15 mins
Service 851 is an inter-town route serving between the housing estates of Yishun, Ang Mo Kio, Marymount, Thomson, Bukit Merah and Tiong Bahru with connections to the City areas, namely Chinatown, Bras Basah and Rochor Canal. The route is frequented as a popular connection between various housing estates, as well as between housing estates and the City. As such, it benefits from high demand throughout the day, with high capacity articulated buses deployed on a daily basis.
The route shares its popular Tiong Bahru – Bras Basah connection with Service 33, but is otherwise non-duplicative from the City to the North. It also shares long duplicating sectors with Service 852 and 853/# between Yishun – Marymount and Yishun – Ang Mo Kio respectively.
Introduced in 1985 by Trans-Island, the route has not undergone any amendments since.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: See above
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1985 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1985 (17 Feb): Introduced by TIBS between Yishun Central and Bukit Merah.
- 1987 (23 Aug): Amended to Yishun Int
- 2009 (01 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (14 Mar): Amended to Yishun Temp Int
- 2015 (Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for trial till Aug 2016
- 2016 (18 Sep): Start of Double-Decker bus deployments.
- Refer to this article
- 1985: No significant route changes since 1985.