SMRT Bus Service 858 operates between Woodlands and Changi Airport, passing through Sembawang, Yishun, Punggol and Sengkang. It utilizes the Tampines and Seletar Expressways between Yishun and Changi Airport. At 73.4km long, it is the longest bus route in Singapore.
|Route||Woodlands Temporary Bus Interchange ↺ Changi Airport PTB2 (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Woodlands Ave 9, Sembawang, Yishun, Lentor, TPE, Jln Kayu, TPE|
|BCM Route Package
||Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)|
|Current Fleet||18-metre Articulated Bus:
– MAN NG363F
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from Woodlands||Daily:
0515 – 2300 (Full Route)
2314 – 2314 (One Trip | Terminates at Changi Airport PTB2)
2330 – 0030 (Four Trips (858A) | Terminates at Blk 923, Yishun Ave 2)
|Departure Times from Changi PTB2||Daily:
0629 – 0023 (To Woodlands Regional Int)
|0630-0830: 05 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 09 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 11 mins
After 1930: 07 – 10 mins
|Notes||– At 2314hrs, buses leaving Woodlands Regional Int will terminate at Changi Airport PTB2 Basement.
– From 2330hrs onwards, buses leaving Woodlands Regional Int will be renumbered as 858A, and terminate at Yishun Ave 2 (Blk 923). The last bus will depart from Woodlands Regional Int at 0030hrs.
Service 858 is a residential and inter-town route plying between the housing estates of Woodlands, Sembawang, Yishun, and stretching far east to Changi Airport. Much of its route plies express sectors along the Seletar Expressway (SLE), Tampines Expressway (TPE) and Pan-Island Expressway (PIE). At 73.4km long, it is the longest bus route in Singapore (after the shortening of NightRider NR7 in 2014). The ride from Yishun to Changi Airport takes about 38 minutes in smooth traffic.
At 2314hrs daily, the bus leaving Woodlands Bus Interchange will terminate at Changi Airport PTB2 Basement. From 2330hrs to 0030hrs daily, buses leaving Woodlands Regional Int will be renumbered as 858A, and terminate at Yishun Ave 2 (Blk 923). From Changi Airport PTB2, the last bus returning to Woodlands departs at 0023hrs daily.
As the quickest transport link from housing estates of the North to Changi Airport, as well as providing valuable inter-town connections in the North, this service encounters moderate to high demand throughout the day. Due to its extended length, bus bunching is relatively common, which BSRF is attempting to minimize.
Changi Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 and 3 have their bus stops integrated into their basement levels, which also serves as a cargo loading and unloading bay. Security checks for any unattended or suspicious articles are carried out before a bus enters each Airport PTB.
On occasions when Changi Airport basement is closed, buses will be diverted to T1/T2/T3 Departure Drive.
- Yishun Avenue 2 (Opp Yishun Sports Hall) → Woodlands Temp Int
Daily: 0530hrs – 0700hrs
Caters to inter-town commuters before the first bus arrives from Changi Airport.
- Service 858A: Woodlands Temp Int → Yishun Ave 2 (Aft NorthPoint Shop Ctr)
Daily: 2330hrs – 0030hrs
- Service 858B: Jalan Kayu (Bef Seletar Camp G) → Jalan Kayu (Aft Seletar Camp G), via Changi Airport
Weekdays AM Peak Hours
Fleet: Service 858 operates a full fleet of MAN NL323F (A22) rigid buses and MAN NG363F (A24) articulated buses. Articulated buses have been deployed since 29 November 2015, as explained in this article.
- 1996 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2020 under the Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package.
- 1996 (04 Feb): Introduced between Yishun Int and Woodlands Regional Int, via Gambas Avenue and Yishun Ave 3
- 1997 (02 Nov): Extended to loop at Changi Airport, and amended to Yishun Ave 5
- 2001: Amended to serve Jln Kayu in both directions
- 2007 (11 Nov): Calls at Changi Airport Terminal 3 basement stop
- 2010 (28 Mar): Amended to ply along Sembawang Way, Canberra Road and Yishun Central 2, serving the Sembawang estate and Yishun Polyclinic/Khoo Teck Puat Hosp.
- 2010 (29 Nov): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (03 Feb): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2014 (05 Oct): Calls at Tampines Expressway (Punggol Road) Bus Interchange
- 2015 (05 Jun): BSRF trial extended to Aug 2016
- 2015 (29 Nov): High capacity articulated buses deployed
- 2016 (01 Feb): Shortworking trip 858B introduced
- 2016 (12 Mar): Amended to Woodlands Temp Int
- Refer to this article
- 2010: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2010.
SMB3122Y – Service 858
SMB3090E – Service 858
SMB332C – Service 858
SMB8037C – Terminal 2
SMB8037C – Terminal 2 layover
SMB8037C – Terminal 2 layover rear
SMB8037C – Terminal 2 layover rear
SMB8037C – Terminal 2 layover overview