SMRT Bus Service 858 operates between Woodlands and Changi Airport, passing through Sembawang, Yishun, Punggol and Sengkang. It utilizes the Tampines and Seletar Expressways between Yishun and Changi Airport. At 73.5km long, it is the longest bus route in Singapore.
||Woodlands Temporary Bus Interchange ↺ Changi Airport PTB2 Bus Terminal (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Woodlands Ave 9, Sembawang, Yishun, Lentor, TPE, Jln Kayu, TPE|
|Route Length||73.5 km|
|Travelling Time||165 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||18-metre Articulated Bus:
– MAN NG363F
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from Woodlands
||0515hrs – 2314hrs (Daily)
Service 858A | Terminates at Opp Yishun Stn, Yishun Ave 2
|Departure Times from Terminal 2
||0625hrs – 0032hrs (Weekdays)
0626hrs – 0025hrs (Saturdays)
0624hrs – 0024hrs (Sundays/PHs)
|0630 – 0830: 05 – 09 mins
0831 – 1659: 05 – 09 mins
1700 – 1900: 05 – 09 mins
After 1900: 06 – 10 mins
Service 858 is a residential and inter-town route plying between the housing estates of Woodlands, Sembawang, Yishun, and stretching far east to Changi Airport. Much of its route plies express sectors along the Seletar Expressway (SLE), Tampines Expressway (TPE) and Pan-Island Expressway (PIE). At 73.5km long, it is the longest bus route in Singapore (after the shortening of NightRider NR7 in 2014). The ride from Yishun to Changi Airport takes about 38 minutes in smooth traffic.
After 2314hrs to 0030hrs daily, buses leaving Woodlands Temp Int will be renumbered as 858A, and terminate at Yishun Ave 2 (Opp Yishun Stn).
As the quickest transport link from housing estates of the North to Changi Airport, as well as providing valuable inter-town connections in the North, this service encounters moderate to high demand throughout the day. Due to its extended length, bus bunching is relatively common, which BSRF is attempting to minimize.
Service 858 serves Changi Airport Terminals 3, 1 & 2 in order.
Changi Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 and 3 have their bus stops integrated into their basement levels, which also serves as a cargo loading and unloading bay. Security checks for any unattended or suspicious articles are carried out before a bus enters Terminals 1, 2 and 3. Bus Captains may take a short toilet break at Terminal 2. Because of height restrictions, double-decker buses are unable to enter Changi Airport basement.
Occasionally when Changi Airport basement is closed, buses will be diverted to to T1/T2/T3 Departure Drive where a temporary bus stop will be set up.
A fleet restriction for Changi Airport appears to be in place, with only Mercedes-Benz Citaro and MAN A24 buses deployed on airport-plying bus services. Announcements for passengers to inform the Bus Captain if they see any suspicious person or article are played on board public buses at Changi Airport as well.
- Yishun Avenue 2 (Opp Yishun Sports Hall) → Woodlands Temp Int
Daily: 0530hrs – 0700hrs
Caters to inter-town commuters before the first bus arrives from Changi Airport.
- Service 858A: Woodlands Temp Int → Yishun Ave 2 (Opp Yishun Stn)
Weekdays: 2324hrs – 0030hrs
Saturdays, Sundays & Public Holidays: 2326hrs – 0030hrs
- Service 858B: Jalan Kayu (Bef Seletar Camp G) → Jalan Kayu (Aft Seletar Camp G), via Changi Airport
Weekdays AM Peak Hours
Fleet: Service 858 operates a full fleet of MAN NL323F (A22) rigid buses and MAN NG363F (A24) articulated buses. Articulated buses have been deployed since 29 November 2015, as explained in this article. Only the MAN NG363F articulated bus is authorized to ply Service 858, due to its improved turning radius compared to SMRT’s older Mercedes-Benz O405G articulated buses.
- 1996 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2020 under the Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package.
- 1996 (04 Feb): Introduced between Yishun Int and Woodlands Regional Int, via Gambas Avenue and Yishun Ave 3
- 1997 (02 Nov): Extended to loop at Changi Airport, and amended to Yishun Ave 5
- 2001: Amended to serve Jln Kayu in both directions
- 2007 (11 Nov): Calls at Changi Airport Terminal 3 basement stop
- 2010 (28 Mar): Amended to ply along Sembawang Way, Canberra Road and Yishun Central 2, serving the Sembawang estate and Yishun Polyclinic/Khoo Teck Puat Hosp.
- 2010 (29 Nov): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (03 Feb): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2014 (05 Oct): Calls at Tampines Expressway (Punggol Road) Bus Interchange
- 2015 (05 Jun): BSRF trial extended to Aug 2016
- 2015 (29 Nov): High capacity articulated buses deployed
- 2016 (01 Feb): Shortworking trip 858B introduced
- 2016 (12 Mar): Amended to Woodlands Temp Int
- Refer to this article
- 2010: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2010.
SMB3122Y – Service 858
SMB3090E – Service 858
SMB332C – Service 858
SMB8037C – Terminal 2
SMB8037C – Terminal 2 layover
SMB8037C – Terminal 2 layover rear
SMB8037C – Terminal 2 layover rear
SMB8037C – Terminal 2 layover overview