SMRT Bus Service 856 is a trunk route linking Yishun Temporary Interchange and Woodlands Temporary Interchange, passing through Sembawang, Senoko Industrial Estate, Woodlands Centre and Marsiling MRT.
Operating hours for Short Trip Service 856A on Fridays are revised from Friday, 19 October 2018.
||Yishun Temporary Bus Interchange ↔ Woodlands Temporary Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Sembawang, Senoko Industrial Estate, Woodlands Centre, Marsiling MRT|
|Route Length||15.4 km (D1) | 16.3 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||55 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– MAN A95
18-metre Articulated Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O405G
|Departure Times from Yishun||0530hrs – 2345hrs (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Woodlands
||0530hrs – 2350hrs (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630 – 0830: 05 – 06 mins
0831 – 1659: 06 – 12 mins
1700 – 1900: 06 mins
After 1900: 06 – 11 mins
|0630 – 0830: 05 – 06 mins
0831 – 1659: 05 – 12 mins
1700 – 1900: 06 – 07 mins
After 1900: 06 – 12 mins
Service 856 is both a residential and industrial route, linking the industrial areas of Admiralty Road West and Senoko with Yishun, Sembawang, Marsiling and Woodlands estates. The route also provides residential connections between Woodlands Bus Interchange and Woodlands Town Centre, as well as between Sembawang and Yishun. As such, it benefits from moderate to high demand throughout the day, with high demand during the peak hours, and thus high-capacity buses are deployed on a daily basis.
During peak hours, Service 981 compliments the service by strengthening bus connections between Sembawang MRT/Int and industrial areas around Admiralty Road West and Senoko.
By duplicating Service 950 from Woodlands Bus Interchange to Woodlands Centre Road, the route also encounters exceptionally high demand from cross-border commuters heading from Woodlands/Marsiling to Woodlands Checkpoint, where passengers are often unable to board Service 950 along en-route bus stops as Service 950 is often filled to capacity at Woodlands Bus Interchange.
MRT Stations Served:
- Service 856A: Woodlands Temp Int → Woodlands Ctr Rd (W’lands Train Checkpt)
Fridays except Public Holidays: 1740hrs – 1900hrs
Caters to evening peak cross-border commuters heading to Woodlands Checkpoint
Fare: Charges basic distance fares. See Bus Fares.
- 1988 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2020 under the Sembawang – Yishun Bus Package.
- 1988 (18 Dec): Introduced between Yishun Int and Woodlands Int
- 1996 (04 Feb): Extended to Woodlands Regional interchange
- 1996 (10 Mar): Amended to ply Canberra Rd instead of Sembawang Rd, Admiralty Rd East and West.
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2015 (14 Mar): Amended to Yishun Temp Int
- 2015 (18 May): Start of Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double Decker bus deployment
- 2016 (12 Mar): Amended to Woodlands Temp Int
- 2017 (08 Sep): Short-Trip Service 856A introduced
- 2017 (17 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2018 (19 Oct): Revision of Short-Trip Service 856A operating hours from 1750hrs – 1930hrs on Fridays to 1740hrs – 1900hrs
- Refer to this article
- 1996: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2006.
External Links & References: