SMRT Bus Service 856 is a trunk route linking Yishun Bus Interchange and Woodlands Temporary Interchange, passing through Sembawang, Senoko Industrial Estate, Woodlands North MRT, Woodlands Train Checkpoint and Marsiling MRT.
- Service 856 towards both Yishun Int & Woodlands Temp Int duplicates at Woodlands North Coast Road. Check the bus destination before boarding.
- – Wheelchair Inaccessible Bus Stop
|Route||Yishun Bus Interchange ↔ Woodlands Temporary Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Sembawang Rd, Canberra Rd, Admiralty Rd West, Senoko Dr, Admiralty Rd, Woodlands Ctr Rd|
|Route Length||Towards Woodlands: 16.3 km
||Towards Yishun: 17.2 km
|Traveling Time||60 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sembawang–Yishun Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses Ltd|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)
Buses park at: Seletar Bus Depot (SEDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– MAN A95
|Departure Times from Yishun
|05:30 – 23:45|
|Departure Times from Woodlands
|05:30 – 23:50|
||5 – 6 mins||5 – 10 mins||5 – 7 mins||5 – 11 mins|
||4 – 6 mins||5 – 11 mins||3 – 7 mins||2 – 11 mins|
|Fare||Charges regular distance fares
Service 856 is both a residential and industrial route, linking the industrial areas of Admiralty Road West and Senoko with Yishun, Sembawang, Marsiling and Woodlands estates. The route also provides residential connections between Woodlands Bus Interchange and Woodlands Town Centre, as well as between Sembawang and Yishun. As such, it benefits from moderate to high demand throughout the day, with high demand during the peak hours, and thus high-capacity buses are deployed on a daily basis.
During peak hours, Service 981 compliments the service by strengthening bus connections between Sembawang MRT/Int and industrial areas around Admiralty Road West and Senoko.
By duplicating Service 950 from Woodlands Bus Interchange to Woodlands Centre Road, the route also encounters exceptionally high demand from cross-border commuters heading from Woodlands/Marsiling to Woodlands Checkpoint, where passengers are often unable to board Service 950 along en-route bus stops as Service 950 is often filled to capacity at Woodlands Bus Interchange.
With the opening of Thomson-East Coast Line 1 on 31 January 2020, Service 856 was amended to serve Woodlands North MRT Station along Woodlands North Coast Road both towards Yishun and Woodlands. Commuters are to check the Bus Electronic Destination Sign before boarding from there.
MRT Stations Served
- Woodlands Ave 3 (Opp Marsiling Stn) → Yishun Int
Weekdays: 05:25 & 05:35
- Woodlands Ctr Rd (W’lands Train Checkpt) → Yishun Int
- Service 856A: Woodlands Temp Int → Woodlands Ctr Rd (W’lands Train Checkpt)
Weekdays except Public Holidays:
– Mondays – Thursdays: 18:01 – 20:50
– Fridays: 17:45 – 20:50
Caters to evening peak cross-border commuters heading to Woodlands Checkpoint
- 1988 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
- (~September 2021) onwards: Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
Operations for this route would be transferred to Tower Transit in 2021 as part of the Sembawang–Yishun Bus Package.
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2026 under the Sembawang–Yishun Bus Package.
- 1988 (25 Dec): Introduced between Yishun Int and Woodlands Int
- 1996 (04 Feb): Extended to Woodlands Regional interchange
- 1996 (10 Mar): Amended to ply Canberra Rd under Woodlands MRT Rationalisation, skipping Admiralty Rd East
- 1999: Serves new pair of bus stops before Sembawang Stn and after Admiralty Country Club along Canberra Rd
- 2000: Serves new bus stop outside Woodlands CIQ along Woodlands Rd
- 2002 (07 Jul): Serves the bus stop outside Blk 923 along Yishun Ave 2, skipping the bus stop outside Northpoint Shop Ctr
- 2015 (14 Mar): Amended to Yishun Temp Int
- 2016 (12 Mar): Amended to Woodlands Temp Int
- 2017 (17 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2019 (08 Sep): Amended to Yishun Integrated Transport Hub
- 2020 (31 Jan): Amended to serve Woodlands North Coast Road