SBS Transit Bus Service 51 is a trunk service plying between Hougang Central and Jurong East, passing through Hougang Ave 3, Eunos, Bugis, Clarke Quay, Alexandra, Commonwealth, Pasir Panjang, West Coast and Pandan Gardens. At 37.7km, it is among the longest bidirectional routes in Singapore.
|Bus Service 51: Hougang Central ↔ Jurong East|
From Hougang Central
From Jurong East
||Hougang Central Bus Interchange ↔ Jurong East Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Hougang Ave 3, Eunos, Bugis, Clarke Quay, Alexandra, Commonwealth, Pasir Panjang, West Coast, Pandan Gardens|
|Route Length||37.8 km (D1) | 35.9 km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||150 mins|
|BCM Route Package||Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit Ltd|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)
Soon Lee Bus Park (SLBP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from Hougang
||0530hrs – 2330hrs (Daily)|
|Departure Times from Jurong East
||0530hrs – 2345hrs (Weekdays & Saturdays)
0545hrs – 2345hrs (Sundays & Public Holidays)
0000hrs – 0020hrs (Daily | Service 51A)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 10 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 19 mins
1700-1900: 11 – 13 mins
After 1900: 12 – 15 mins
|0630-0830: 12 – 14 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 16 mins
1700-1900: 09 – 16 mins
After 1900: 10 – 16 mins
Service 51 is a major trunk route connecting West and Northeast of Singapore, and an important trunk route in many of its catchment areas. From Hougang Central, the route passes through Hougang Avenue 3, Eunos, Geylang, Bugis and Clarke Quay, continuing west to Havelock, Alexandra, Queenstown, Pasir Panjang, West Coast and Pandan Gardens, terminating at Jurong East Interchange.
For residents of Pandan Gardens, Service 51 offers the quickest route to Jurong East Interchange, and duplicates Service 30 and 143 to Pasir Panjang. Service 51 also offers key connections from Alexandra and Havelock to the Central areas. In the East, demand is strong between Hougang and Ubi/Kaki Bukit industrial estates, a sector shared with Service 87.
Due to its long route length and congestion prone areas, journey times are often increased during peak hours. A full journey can reach 210mins (3hrs and 30mins) from Jurong East to Hougang during PM Peak, as compared to around 150mins off-peak.
MRT Stations Served
- NE14 Hougang
- EW7 Eunos
- EW8CC9 Paya Lebar
- EW9 Aljunied
- EW10 Kallang
- EW11 Lavender
- EW12DT14 Bugis
- EW13NS25 City Hall
- NE5 Clarke Quay
- NE4DT19 Chinatown
- EW19 Queenstown
- CC27 Labrador Park
- CC26 Pasir Panjang
- CC25 Haw Par Villa
- EW24NS1 Jurong East
- Hougang Ave 3 (Aft Kim Chuan Rd) → Jurong East Int
Weekdays: 0520hrs, 0531hrs
- Commonwealth Avenue (Queenstown Stn Exit A/D) → Jurong East Int
Weekdays: 0702hrs, 0830hrs
- Pandan Gardens (Blk 410) → Jurong East Int
Weekdays: 0540hrs, 0553hrs, 0606hrs, 0617hrs, 0627hrs, 0638hrs, 0648hrs, 0706hrs
Saturdays: 0540hrs, 0555hrs, 0611hrs, 0626hrs, 0642hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0600hrs, 0617hrs, 0633hrs, 0650hrs
- West Coast Road (Blk 601) → Hougang Central Int
Short Trip Service
- Service 51A: Jurong East Int → Pandan Gdns (Blk 407)
Weekdays: 0003hrs, 0020hrs (Last 2 buses)
Weekend/PHs: 0002hrs, 0020hrs (Last 2 buses)
The last bus of Service 51A will be extended on eves of Public Holidays to compliment the extension of train operating hours, except for eves of Christmas, New Year & Lunar New Year (timings announced closer to occasion).
- 1971 – 1973: Associated Bus Services Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2021 under the Sengkang – Hougang Bus Package.
- 1971: Introduced between Jalan Eunos (End) and Alexandra Rd. operated by Associated Bus Services
- 1973: Operated by Singapore Bus Services (SBS)
- 1987: Integrated with Service 54 and extended to Hougang (South) Int.
- 1988: Integrated with Service 192 (Jurong – South Canal) and extended to Jurong East.
- 2002: Amended to ply Pandan Gardens.
- 2004 (15 Feb): Exended to Hougang Central Interchange via Hougang Ave 3 and Upp Serangoon Rd with closure of Hougang South Int.
- 2007 (22 May): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2011 (17 Dec): Amended to Jurong East Temp Int, calls at bus stop Blk 131 along Jurong Gateway Rd
- 2014 (23 Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2015 (05 Jun): BSRF trial extended to Aug 2016
- Refer to this article
- 2004: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2004.