Rationalisation of bus services are carried out by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to optimize service levels offered by Singapore’s public transport network. These efforts include the reduction of operating frequency or operating hours of certain bus services, or the merger and withdrawal of certain bus services that suffer from low demand.
Under the Bus Contracting Model (BCM), the LTA assumes the role of a central planning agency, and decides on bus services to be provided, and the service standards which operators have to meet. As part of this responsibility, public transport connections that are duplicitous or underutilized are rationalised to optimise the usage of resources and cut down on financially unsustainable services.
Historically, large-scale rationalisation of bus services were conducted following the opening of new rail lines to avoid duplication. In modern times, rationalisation of bus services are more restrained and targeted at the most underutilized bus routes.
This article summarises these changes to bus services since the start of 2019, and will be updated with instances of upcoming announced bus service rationalisations where implemented.
Downtown Line 3 Bus Service Rationalisations
As part of the Downtown Line 3 Bus Rationalisation from 12 Dec 2021;
- Service 22 will be amended from Ang Mo Kio ↔ Tampines to Ang Mo Kio ↔ Eunos
- Service 66 will be amended from Bedok ↔ Jurong East to Jurong East ↺ Upper Bukit Timah Road (loop)
- Express 506 will be amended from Jurong East ↔ Upper East Coast to Jurong East ↔ Serangoon
In addition, Bus Service 65 will be amended to ply Tampines Avenue 4 instead of Tampines Avenue 1 to cover lost sectors of Service 22.
Short Trip Service 66C will also be withdrawn with the amendment of Service 66 to loop at Beauty World.
At Page 2:
- Reduction in Trips for Express Bus Services – Express 12e, 851e & 960e
- Express 167e
- Downtown Line 2 Bus Service Rationalisations
- Bus Service 128
- Short Trip Service 117B
- Rationalisation of Full-Day Express services
- Service BPS1
- Post On-Demand Public Bus Trial Rationalisation
- Service 163M
- City Direct Services