City Direct Services are express bus routes which run one-way trips between residential estates and the Central Business District (CBD) during weekday peak hours, except on Public Holidays. These services are operated by private bus operators using coaches, which provide commuters with a direct and comfortable bus ride between home and work. Public Bus Operators also operate City Direct Bus Services since Apr 2017, taking over some services which were previously ran by private bus operators. With limited stops and the use of expressways, commuters using these services would have comparable journey time to taking a feeder bus service or a LRT service to the nearest MRT station and transferring to the rail network towards the city.
Currently, 17 City Direct Bus Services are in operation, serving the following residential estates: Ang Mo Kio, Bedok, Buangkok, Clementi, Dover, Hillview, Hougang, Jurong East, Jurong West, Marsiling, Pasir Ris, Punggol, Sembawang, Sengkang, West Coast, Woodlands & Yishun.
4 City Direct Services were withdrawn on 17 December 2018, which served the following residential estates: Eunos, Bedok South, Yew Tee, Tampines East and Simei.
Another City Direct Service serving Bedok was withdrawn on 3 June 2019.
All City Direct Services will start at least two with one-way trips on weekday mornings from the respective housing estates towards the Central Business District (CBD), and similarly, at least two one-way trips will take commuters back home from the city in the evenings. More trips may be added depending on the demand for the services.
City Direct Services were introduced under the Bus Services Enhancement Programme (BSEP) to benefit commuters travelling to the city with improved connectivity. The move is in line with the Transport Minister’s announcement at the Committee of Supply 2013 to tap on the resources of private bus operators to run more City Direct bus services to augment the resources of the public transport operators (PTOs). Currently, Express services 513, 850E, 951E and 982E are operated by Public Transport Operators (PTOs) and run parallel to train lines between estates and the city.
In March 2014, an expansion of the BSEP was announced, increasing the total number of new BSEP routes to 80 services, which includes 20 City Direct services.
In March 2015, LTA announced 12 new City Direct Services to be progressively introduced from Q2 2015. (an additional of 2 more services) This brings the total of City Direct Services under the BSEP scheme to 22.
However, City Direct Bus Services 658, 659, 662 & 664 were withdrawn in December 2018 after 3 – 4 years in operation, while City Direct Bus Service 669 was withdrawn in June 2019.
List of Operating City Direct Services:
For operating hours, refer to the service article.
|City Direct||Operator||Route||Service Area|
|651||Tower Transit||Jurong West Avenue 3 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Jurong West|
|652||SMRT Buses||Upper Thomson Road ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||Ang Mo Kio|
|653||SMRT Buses||Hume Avenue / Hillview Avenue ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Hillview, Bukit Batok|
|654||SBS Transit||Anchorvale Street ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||Sengkang West, Sengkang East|
|655||SBS Transit||West Coast Road ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Pandan Gardens, Teban Gardens, West Coast|
|656||SMRT Buses||Canberra Road ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||Sembawang|
|657||SMRT Buses||Jurong West Avenue 1 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Jurong East|
|660||SBS Transit||Buangkok Green ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||Hougang|
|661||Go-Ahead Singapore||Pasir Ris Drive 3 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Pasir Ris|
|663||Tower Transit||Yishun Avenue 6 ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||Yishun East|
|665||Tower Transit||Marsiling Drive ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||Marsiling, Woodlands|
|666||Go-Ahead Singapore||Punggol Drive ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Punggol East|
|667||SBS Transit||Clementi Avenue 4 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Clementi, Dover|
|668||BT & Tan Transport||Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Ang Mo Kio, Yio Chu Kang|
|670||SMRT Buses||Yishun Avenue 7 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Yishun West|
|671||SBS Transit||Punggol Road ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Sengkang|
|672||SBS Transit||Hougang Street 51 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||Hougang|
List of Withdrawn City Direct Services:
|658||Bedok Reservoir Road / Kaki Bukit Avenue 1 ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||19 May 2014||17 Dec 2018|
|659||Bedok South Road ⇄ Shenton Way / Anson Road||9 Jun 2014||17 Dec 2018|
|662||Choa Chu Kang North 7 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||6 Oct 2015||17 Dec 2018|
|664||Tampines Street 41 ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||6 Oct 2015||17 Dec 2018|
|669||Bedok North Road ⇄ Marina Boulevard / Central Boulevard||22 Mar 2016||3 Jun 2019|
- 21 Nov 2012: Tender for City Direct 651 called between Jurong West and the CBD (VT371)
- 13 Jun 2013: Tender for City Direct 652 – 657 called (VT387). Contract for one City Direct awarded (VT371).
- 09 Nov 2013: Contracts awarded City Direct 652 – 657 (VT387)
- 26 Nov 2013: Tender for City Direct 658 – 660 called (PT162)
- 03 Feb 2014: Contracts awarded for City Direct 658 – 660 (PT162)
- 09 Feb 2015: Tender for City Direct 661 – 665 called (PT221)
- 11 Mar 2015: LTA announces 12 City Direct Services to be launched from Q2 2015 onwards, an increase of 2 services from the original announcement.
- 21 Jul 2015: Contracts for City Direct 661 – 665 awarded (PT221), City Direct 666 – 670 routing region announced.
- 05 Aug 2015: Tender for City Direct 666 – 670 called (PT233)
- 14 Dec 2015: Contracts awarded for City Direct 666 – 670 (PT233).
- 18 Jan 2016: Contracts for City Direct 651 – 657 extended for 1 more year
- 15 Apr 2016: Tenders for City Direct 651, 671, 672 called (PT270)
- 01 Aug 2016: Contracts awarded for City Direct 651, 671, 672 (PT270). Tenders for City Direct 652, 653, 654, 655, 656 & 657 called (PT288)
- 14 Nov 2016: Contract awarded for City Direct 654 (PT288). Tender for City Direct 653, 655, 656 & 657 not awarded.
- Apr 2017: Transfer of operations for City Direct 653, 655, 656 & 657 to Public Transport Operators.
- 12 May 2017: Tenders for City Direct 658, 659 & 660 open.
- 22 Jun 2017: Tenders for City Direct 661, 662, 663, 664 & 665 open.
- 10 Jul 2017: Tender for City Direct 658, 659 & 660 not awarded.
- 30 Aug 2017: Tenders for City Direct 661, 662, 663, 664 & 665 not awarded.
- 28 Sep 2017: Transfer of operations for City Direct 663 to Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd.
- 12 Oct 2017: Transfer of operations for City Direct 665 to Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd.
- 17 Dec 2018: Discontinuation of City Direct Services 658, 659, 662 & 664
- 02 Jan 2019: Transfer of operations for City Direct 660 to SBS Transit Ltd
- 02 Jan 2019: Transfer of operations for City Direct 661 to Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd
- 03 Jun 2019: Discontinuation of City Direct Service 669
- 22 Jul 2019: Transfer of operations for City Direct 654 to SBS Transit Ltd
- 06 Jan 2020: Transfer of operations for City Direct 652 to SMRT Buses Ltd
- 13 Jan 2020: Transfer of operations for City Direct 651 to Tower Transit Singapore Pte Ltd
- 13 Jan 2020: Transfer of operations for City Directs 671 & 672 to SBS Transit Ltd
- 02 Mar 2020: Transfer of operations for City Direct 666 to Go Ahead Loyang Pte Ltd
- 09 Mar 2020: Transfer of operations for City Direct 667 to SBS Transit Ltd
- 30 Mar 2020: Transfer of operations for City Direct 670 to SMRT Buses Ltd
Fares are charged based on distance-based fares for express bus services. Entry and exit card readers will ensure the correct fare is charged based on the distance travelled, similar to regular Express bus routes.
City Directs 651 – 660 used to charge a flat fare based on the maximum distance-based fare scheme (DBF) for Express routes prior to 2016. LTA has progressively converted the fare scheme to charge distance-based fares between Q4 2015 and Mid-2016.
Boarding & Alighting Locations:
|AM Peak (Alighting Points)||PM Peak (Boarding points)|
|City Direct 651, 653, 655, 657, 661, 666, 667, 668, 670, 671, 672||Anson Road
|City Direct 652, 656, 660, 663, 665||Orchard Road
Bras Basah Road
|City Direct 654||Central Boulevard
City Direct services operate during the morning and evening peak hours in single directions.
Back to Bus Services